Can I use Dahua cameras with a LTS (Hikvision) NVR

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 16channel LTS (rebranded Hikvision) NVR, which is used by mostly LTS cameras and a couple of chinese PTZs which work fine, I guess they are ONVIF.

I connect the NVR to a computer screen and just use the software provided by LTS, i.e I do NOT have BI or any other improved viewing and management software.

I am thinking of ordering a couple of Dahua starlight cameras and am wondering if they are compatible with the LTS NVR ?

If so, will there be much loss in quality and functionality, for example, I read somewhere, that if we use ONVIF then all the cameras on the NVR become ONVIF and lose functionality.

I appreciate any guidance you have, as I am keen to get the Dahua cameras...I hear their quality for night time viewing is very good.

Thank you

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
and the same applies vice versa, Hikvision cameras to a Dahua NVR. Bear in mind some of the security problems both companies had earlier this year. Make sure firmware is up to date. If the camera model is on sale for cheap, go for either, but be aware of the focal length and features which may not work prior to purchasing.

you can connect the Dahua cameras but they will connect using Onvif so you will lose some functionally

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you @Arjun and @copex

What functionality will be lost if I connect using ONVIF?

Can someone please elaborate on the security issues that these companies faced

Finally!! How do I update the firmware? of the camera? NVR? both?

Thank you

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran for a while with a few Dahua cameras on an LTS nvr. The video feed worked great. Absolutely no event notifications worked. Solution was a Dahua nvr, and of course BI would work.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@tigerwillow1 thank you. Did you keep your LTS NVR and add the Dahua NVR or did you stop using the LTS NVR altogether?

I am wondering if I can use 2 NVRs with one internet connection, obviously they may need separate viewing software

Thank you

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I switched over totally to the dahua nvr. I think it works to use multiple nvrs recording the same cameras, but I'd rather see somebody who knows more about it give you the answer.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@tigerwillow1
I am wondering if I can use 2 NVRs with one internet connection, obviously they may need separate viewing software
Thank you
yes you could have two NVRs on one network with one public ip address, if you use a vpn this would just work, if you are in the darkworld of port forwarding then you would have to do one of two things PAT, (port address translation) or change the ports on the NVR and Remote viewing APP

Example - 2 Hikvision NVRs using mobile app for remote access.

NVR 1 - 192.168.1.1
NVR 2 - 192.168.1.2

router using pat

Source port - source address - local port - local address

8001 - blank - 8000 192.168.1.1
8002 - blank - 8000 192.168.1.2

in the app the address would be the public ip address and you would change the port depending on the NVR you wish to access.

the other way log in to the NVR cn change the ports in the network settings and in the router forward the ports as normal again in the app you would have to change the ports.

if you use a VPN you can just leave everything in default, you can get mobile aps that support lots CCTV system and some one may be able to point you in the direction of multiview software for PC.

FOR SECURITY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE A VPN OVER PAT ;-)

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow this is confusing. Which thread do I need to read to understand VPNs?

Is it the VPN Primer for NOOBs by @nayr

Right now I am just connecting the NVR through my ISP router....is that bad??

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That's correct, I also suggest you to read about OpenVPN on Netgear routers as a start

Wow this is confusing. Which thread do I need to read to understand VPNs?

Is it the VPN Primer for NOOBs by @nayr

Right now I am just connecting the NVR through my ISP router....is that bad??

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@copex @Arjun @tigerwillow1 I appreciate your help thank you

So if I buy some Dahua cameras and connect them to a LTS NVR, I understand they will function using the Onvif standard and thus lose some functionality.

What functionality are they likely to retain?

If I understand right...they will lose motion detection?

If I buy a Dahua PTZ and use it with the LTS NVR will they also lose the PTZ function?

Thanks

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It's my understanding that Dahua's motion detection works differently than Hikvision in terms of how the feature is perceived and processed (RTSP stream)

Advanced features are better handled directly through the cameras GUI

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Arjun thank you. How do I access the cameras GUI? And does that mean that if I do the Dahua/LTS NVR combo I can still use the PTZ functions?

Sorry if you answered this, I am so new to this

BTW which part of the country are you in?? You know so much!!

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes PTZ will work, you need to check the ONIVF profile and version supported by the NVR

see below and read here ONVIF Compliance in Plain English

----------------

Building on ONVIF Specifications, ONVIF Profiles are collections specifications that guarantee the interoperability of specific features between conformant devices.
  • Profile S - Addresses common functionalities of IP video systems, such as video and audio streaming, PTZ controls, and relay activation.[8]
  • Profile C - Addresses common functionalities of IP access control systems, such as door state and control, credential management, and event handling.[9]
  • Profile G - Addresses video storage, recording, search, and retrieval.[10]
  • Profile Q (Release Candidate) - Addresses device discovery and configuration, as well as the management of TLS certificates and keys.[11]
stolen from ONVIF - Wikipedia