Can I use this NVR DHI-NVR5216-16P-I with camera IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No it does not. The Z12E is used by us to manually read the plates, but it is not designed as a plate camera.

You would need an ANPR or ALPR camera that can actually read and log the plates. Something like this:

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR can store license plates It says " dedicated license plate capture camera". Does the camera B52IR-Z12E S2 work for the purpose?

TIA
That NVR can do 'AI by device' functions, including 1ch 'video metadata'. In video metadata it does try it's own LPR detection.
I don't know if this would work at night when only the plate & headlights show on an LPC camera's image.
1716801842793.png

I use this function on a spotter camera (handy to search every human/vehicle/bike that has gone past).

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Mark_M What function are you using on the NVR to get car, people, etc information? Are you using it with IVS? Does it really slow down your NVR? Thank you sir.

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
No it does not. The Z12E is used by us to manually read the plates, but it is not designed as a plate camera.

You would need an ANPR or ALPR camera that can actually read and log the plates. Something like this:

Is there a NVR that works like how you do with BI for the z12e?

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
That NVR can do 'AI by device' functions, including 1ch 'video metadata'. In video metadata it does try it's own LPR detection.
I don't know if this would work at night when only the plate & headlights show on an LPC camera's image.
View attachment 195255

I use this function on a spotter camera (handy to search every human/vehicle/bike that has gone past).
I have not had time to check on metadata. Does it need lots of setting and fine tune? How well is it during the day?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 195255

What else did you do? Like what setting in the camera GUI? I tried this on my neighbors NVR and it never read plates.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally speaking no.
in order to capture and store plates in a database the camera must be capable of that.

As @Mark_M showed, that version of the 5000 series can use its own Meta data to possibly get plates, but it won’t be near as accurate as a dedicated LPR camera in my experience.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont have the angle for plates on this camera, but because it (5442-Z4-S3) has MetaData capability, I can get other stuff with my 2018 5216-16P-4KS2E NVR.

Not so good on vehicle attributes, but again I think that's mostly due to the lousy angle, This camera is zoomed and intended for facial ID on the street

Metadata-vehicle.jpg
Metadata-human.jpg
Metadata-non-vehicle.jpg Home_Street-5442-Z4-S3_main_20240527085306_@5.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
@Mark_M What function are you using on the NVR to get car, people, etc information? Are you using it with IVS? Does it really slow down your NVR? Thank you sir.
'Video metadata'.
Enable it for Human, vehicle, and non-motor vehicle detections.

When it detects a vehicle it does it's best to recognise the licence plate (as per the image I shared). But keep in mind this does not have the same 'trigger' thresholds like a dedicated LPR camera does, which means it might miss licence plates at night because the NVR does not detect the shape of a vehicle.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Mark does the camera you are using that one have Video Metadata enabled?

I had to enable it on the Z4 itself to get the stats and I think the database on the NVR under AI Search (non-AI NVR)
Home_Street-5442-Z4-S3_main_20240527175423_@5.jpg

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the '-I' NVR with built in AI video metadata.

I have not had time to check on metadata. Does it need lots of setting and fine tune? How well is it during the day?
It works during the day fine. At night I think it would not work properly.

What else did you do? Like what setting in the camera GUI? I tried this on my neighbors NVR and it never read plates.
I don't use this camera for LPR. I enabled video metadata for this spotter camera.

For a person walking past, it will do face detection (NOT recognition). It does an okay job. A few times it double counts when there is loads of people.
1716846758027.png

Non-motor vehicles, bikes (& 'motor'bikes???). It got this one correct of helmet vs no helmet.
1716846781177.png
1716846814329.png

And you can see the 'AI live' at the right side of this video. And the thumbnail.

Mark does the camera you are using that one have Video Metadata enabled?

I had to enable it on the Z4 itself to get the stats and I think the database on the NVR under AI Search (non-AI NVR)
View attachment 195306
Almost finished writing this reply lol....... Now I have finished :) .