Can IP camera clearly view content ona computer monitor?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A friend wants to install some Dahua HDBW4231F 2MP mini wedge cameras in their office to get an overview of the reception area and entrance but to also be able to see if their receptionist is actually working or just surfing the internet.

The room area to be covered is maybe 10 x 10 and typical office ceiling height, maybe 9 ft. The camera would be in once corner and the desk \ computer would be roughly in the opposing corner.

I was wondering if this or IP cameras in general can actually clearly view computer monitor screen content from a typical LCD monitor 18-24" in size.
Is there any issue with brightness, focus, flicker or such that could come into play?

(I know there are software options for content monitoring of computers too but they do not want to go this route and are planning on cameras anyway.)

Thanks

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on being able to differentiate between legitimate and non-work-related browsing from a cam mounted 10ft over their shoulder.
And even if you can, a simple 'privacy screen' overlay would make it impossible.

That said, If they don't want the employee to surf the Internet when they have nothing more productive to do then they should block access at the router.
IE, It's an IT (network admin) problem, not a security camera problem...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, security is the primary reason for the cameras...They just wanted to know if this was possible too to monitor useage. ..Which is why I suggested a software based solution.
Net blocking is difficult because there is always another legit site they need to get to and a white list submission process then to maintain.

I was curious too as I've never tried to see if a computer screen could be seen in a camera setup.
Thanks

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is awesome when humans attempt solve simple social issues with high technology.

What did the receptionist have to say for themselves when they were spoken too? After all they are trusted enough to be the first point of contact for visitors to the premises.

Back when cameras were very expensive, business cases needed to be prepared individual cameras. Today it seems like mail-room johnny can have input about monitoring staff that they may have a crush on.

Traffic blocking is dead simple for a company large enough to have a receptionist. These staff monitoring cameras can be defeated with a $2 can of hairspray.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on being able to differentiate between legitimate and non-work-related browsing from a cam mounted 10ft over their shoulder.
And even if you can, a simple 'privacy screen' overlay would make it impossible.

That said, If they don't want the employee to surf the Internet when they have nothing more productive to do then they should block access at the router.
IE, It's an IT (network admin) problem, not a security camera problem...
Hi @nbstl68

"A friend wants to install some Dahua HDBW4231F 2MP mini wedge cameras in their office to get an overview of the reception area and entrance but to also be able to see if their receptionist is actually working or just surfing the internet.
(I know there are software options for content monitoring of computers too but they do not want to go this route and are planning on cameras anyway.)"

I completely agree with pozzello.. the best way is to use the IT tools which already exist and are easily available. Otherwise thinking that attempting to solve this with a security camera is along the lines of Rube Goldberg:

1596316772335.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @pozzello and @mat200 said, but.....
If you positively MUST view the receptionist's desktop remotely, for $80 consider DeskCamera.

"DeskCamera is a software solution for PC surveillance. The software allows to stream a PC desktop, webcam, audio and other medias into any VMS or NVR system via the RTSP and ONVIF protocol "

You can try it for free, it says.