Can regular ethernet computes and devices be hooked up to POE switches?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Going to buy a POE switch to mount in a NEMA enclosure box outside for my cameras. I already have an ethernet line running to my solar system's inverter and am wondering if the POE switch will damage the inverter because its just a regular ethernet device that does not need POE.

If this is a stupid question, and I suspect it is, please forgive me, I have zero experience with POE anything.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No problem at all. It automatically detects if the device needs POE and if not it works like a regular switch.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks! That clears a lot up.

Are the BV-Tech products good?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 3 BV_tech switch about 2 years old , one has died. I have been replacing my switches with netgear GS108PP. All my switches are on UPSs.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 3 BV_tech switch about 2 years old , one has died. I have been replacing my switches with netgear GS108PP. All my switches are on UPSs.
What failed? When they go bad, do they still act like a normal switch or just completely die? Was it the power supply? Which model did you have?

Reaction score
I bought a BV-tech 16 port POE switch back around Sept. Worked great for the 12 cams I ran on it. Minus the vacuum sound :) But it did work as advertised. However, I recently upgraded to a 48 port Ubiquiti POE switch (by luck). Nice and quiet....

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do these POE Switches have a utility inside them that allows viewing of how much power each channel is using?

So if hook up a camera and want to know how much juice its using, how would I find out that information? Most tech specs list the maximum and not the nominal or actual power being used.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can only speak for my own managed switch which is able to report how much power each port is using. An unmanaged switch won't have this capability. I'm assuming this is a standard or at least common feature of managed switches.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two switches of the TP-Link TL-SG1008PE Poe+ w/8 ports, had the for almost 4 years and problem at all. The only think is that their fan i think is rated at 25 db(a) witch is kind loud, but researched and found some fans for them at 15 db(a) ,much better . Good luck.