Can someone illegally access my used NVR if they know the verification code?

Clucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just picked up a 32 channel Acusense NVR on eBay for a steal (I know, Blue Iris is King but I want two way audio). I am worried that if they know the verification or QR code they can search for the device once it goes online. Does factory resetting it make a new code? I wouldn't think so because the code is also on a sticker on the unit. I have one camera in my room (to protect against false **** accusations) and DEFINITELY don't want anyone else but my eyes seeing that! Rofl!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just picked up a 32 channel Acusense NVR on eBay for a steal (I know, Blue Iris is King but I want two way audio). I am worried that if they know the verification or QR code they can search for the device once it goes online. Does factory resetting it make a new code? I wouldn't think so because the code is also on a sticker on the unit. I have one camera in my room (to protect against false **** accusations) and DEFINITELY don't want anyone else but my eyes seeing that! Rofl!
Hint do not connect to the internet and you will be fine

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to take legal advice before having a bedroom cam as covertly recording someone during sex or in a state of undress without their consent, maybe illegal in many jurisdictions.

Clucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to take legal advice before having a bedroom cam as covertly recording someone during sex or in a state of undress without their consent, maybe illegal in many jurisdictions.
Actually I already did that. Chat GPT says its okay in my state as long as I am the one that films it. Now anyways, excluding Hikvision and the CCP, will there be any one else seeing these recordings? Because if so that would make it illegal for what I am doing.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Chat GPT says its okay in my state as long as I am the one that films it.
Taking legal advice from a computerized bull shit artist isn't the best idea.

In addition to having the barcode if using p2p, you should be required to enter a valid password for the NVR (security flaws and backdoors not withstanding)

Clucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Taking legal advice from a computerized bull shit artist isn't the best idea.

In addition to having the barcode if using p2p, you should be required to enter a valid password for the NVR (security flaws and backdoors not withstanding)
I actually made that up because I don't want to have to go through explaining what I actually want to keep secret, and it is related to being naked. ANYWAYS. Good to know! There are actually better ways to have a secret camera than an IP camera sticking out of the ceiling. I actually have a hidden camera that can be installed in a tissue box.

However for those concerned about audio recording in private residences, you can if you are the one doing it and are always in the recording. So for instance, if you bring your girl over and she is only in your room when you are, that is legal. But as soon as you step out to take a shit you better start yelling as loud as you can so you can still technically be in the recording. Pretty fucking stupid and it's probably only going to get worse. Soon they will probably make special provisions where it can be considered a sex crime to protect yourself from cancel culture and accusations from wamen.

Last edited:

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you add the NVR to an account then no one else can add it to another account, its is bound to your account, verification code can be change on the NVR under P2P but even if someone tries to add your serial number to a new account they will be prompted to say its under account.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually made that up because I don't want to have to go through explaining what I actually want to keep secret, and it is related to being naked. ANYWAYS. Good to know! There are actually better ways to have a secret camera than an IP camera sticking out of the ceiling. I actually have a hidden camera that can be installed in a tissue box.

However for those concerned about audio recording in private residences, you can if you are the one doing it and are always in the recording. So for instance, if you bring your girl over and she is only in your room when you are, that is legal. But as soon as you step out to take a shit you better start yelling as loud as you can so you can still technically be in the recording. Pretty fucking stupid and it's probably only going to get worse. Soon they will probably make special provisions where it can be considered a sex crime to protect yourself from cancel culture and accusations from wamen.
You’re one of those people I have to deal with almost everyday! :facepalm: You know just enough to be dangerous. :rolleyes:

Reading some of your replies and comments just oozes dip shit. :smash: