Can someone simplify utilizing a VPN with Hikvisions NVR and my home network?

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
dont let the DD-WRT thing scare you off.. it looks harder than it is.

Download factory-to-ddwrt.img above and save it.
Login to router, Reset it to Factory Defaults.
Connect and log back into router after its all on default values.
Go to Advanced -> Firmware -> Upgrade (or something like that), choose the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file and upgrade it.
Let it do its thing, DO NOT UNPLUG OR INTERFERE WITH IT.
It should come back online w/default DD-WRT firmware when its all done.

Then you can start setting up the router again for your network (Wifi, DHCP, etc).. when your happy that everything is working again, start setting up OpenVPN with the doc above.
Thanks nayer. I will look at it more when I get home.. My end goal then is to have only the cameras on vpn?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My end goal then is to have only the cameras on vpn?
Technically the entire network will be under the VPN which is a good thing.

Also, google some reviews for that router and OpenVPN. I've read that it might not have a fast enough processor to handle a VPN without bogging down.

As far as suggestions on Routers, I have an Asus RT-AC68P and its excellent. many have the 66U. Check amazon or BestBuy if u do wanna look into a new one, u can shop around for the best price. They are very easy to setup with DD-WRT.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My end goal then is to have only the cameras on vpn?
You could have the VPN setup such that the cameras are the only think accessible with the VPN.

You could use vLans to partition separate networks, have the cameras on vLan7 (or whatever vlan you like) and have the VPN only access vLan7.

If you router has multiple physical Ethernet connections you could put the cameras/NVR/BI machine on a switch connected to a physical port on the router. Give that physical port and its subsequent network a different IP range than your main network. Give you main network access to that cam network and give the VPN access to only that cam network.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think it was @nayr that had mentioned having his setup such that his cameras have no access at all to the internet and are on their own almost totally isolated network. He has his NVR and various servers able to access the isolated camera network. The NVR has internet access and the camera feeds can be viewed remotely via the NVR. This is the sort of setup I am heading towards myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
partially true, my NVR and cameras are on there own network/subnet and the default rule is to drop all traffic trying to enter or exit that network.. I have a few firewall rules that allow any machine on my primary LAN to access the NVR, and my primary workstation to access the cameras directly.. everything else, including internet access is blocked.

When I VPN it puts me on my primary LAN, so I can reach the NVR... but to reach the cameras directly over VPN I have to remote desktop into my primary workstation.. as its the only host on my network allowed any deeper than only the NVR.

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nayr,
The download says image disc file is corrupted.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i doubt both files are corrupt, your ea8500 is still in beta so its not on the main site listing.. but if you go to wiki you'll find it in supported devices.

Mebe see if there is a newer Linksys firmware and make sure the OEM firmware is the latest and greatest before applying DD-WRT firmware.

a bit of googling 'DD-WRT ea8500' brings up numerous threads, perhaps you can look through it and find your problem.. here is the main thread: http://download1.dd-wrt.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287976

I am about to leave for the weekend, hopefully someone here can pick this up.. lots of people here done this to there routers before... last time I put it on a router, I just downloaded and applied firmware.. done deal.. but not every device is equally as easy to change.

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To the op.. Sorry for butting in and hijacking your thread, I should have started my own topic...