Can the connectors be exposed to weather?

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a HIK DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/S i mounted it temporary and have it powered by POE and that is sealed up tight using the waterproof connector but there is also separate wire for power and another for a alarm.....can't think of the name of them as i never use them but do they need to be water tight?

I can't seem to find a junction box to hide them in for this camera.

BTW what tape do you guys use to help seal them up?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody here would trust the waterproof connector.

At a minimum you need to use dielectric grease then the provided connector and then some self-fusing tape wrapped around it. Probably a good idea to wrap those other ones if they are not protected.

Many will go to a hardware store and buy a box junction box and then just screw the camera base thru the box lid.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow...the base of that cam is 6" in diameter. As @wittaj said, consider a box from Home Depot or Lowes. You might even have to settle for square, something like this.

6x6-plastic-box.jpg

And as also mentioned by @wittaj , you should waterproof that so-called "waterproof" connector on the pigtail or any Ethernet connection anywhere outdoors, even if the box is under a roof eave or the connection is inside the box. Here's my suggestion:
  • Use dielectric grease on both the male RJ-45 and in the female where it connects.
  • Wrap the entire junction with self-fusing rubber tape, don't be stingy, go past barrel connector and on out pigtail a couple of inches on both ends. This self-curing or self-fusing (vulcanizing) process is also employed by Coax Seal, self-sealing mastic pads....many names and labels for the same process.
  • Over-wrap all that self-fusing rubber tape TIGHTLY with 3M 33+ or 88 vinyl electrical tape to aid and speed up the curing process but it will remain on.
  • When possible, locate camera, its pigtail and junction box with connection out of direct weather. Direct rain and direct UV shorten the life of all devices, even the ones that are rated "for outdoor use."
  • Caulk where pigtail enters camera generously with outdoor-rated silicone sealant.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Nobody here would trust the waterproof connector.
If this is about the camera pigtail connector, make that everybody minus one. I have 6 cameras up in trees with no enhancements on the pigtail connector, and never had a failure. The only precautions I take are to make sure the center gasket is captured tightly and cleanly between the halves, that the gasket around the data wire is firmly compressed, and the connector is close to vertical with the camera end up. Nothing wrong with a wrap of coax seal around the barrel, I've just not had the need. I do seal the power connector with coax seal or GB Duct Seal.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If this is about the camera pigtail connector, make than everybody minus one. I have 6 cameras up in trees with no enhancements on the pigtail connector, and never had a failure. The only precautions I take are to make sure the center gasket is captured tightly and cleanly between the halves, that the gasket around the data wire is firmly compressed, and the connector is close to vertical with the camera end up. Nothing wrong with a wrap of coax seal around the barrel, I've just not had the need. I do seal the power connector with coax seal or GB Duct Seal.
You really need to consider a trip down to Reno, Tahoe or Las Vegas soon with about $1,000 cash, start out by putting $100 on "00" on the roulette wheel, then move over to a $100 a hand Black Jack table.......:cool:

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
They will eventually fail if exposed. I just had one fail this year that was exposed and worked good for about 7 years. I cut off the pigtail and rewired a normal RJ45 on it, put it inside an Amazon special 'waterproof' coupler and then put all that inside a Hikvision junction box. Should be good now. One issue with the junction box (that has been brought up here before) I purchased, the rubber seal in the bottom connector was too large and would not seal around the cable going in to the box. I used some silicon caulk to stuff it up.

rj45 coupler.png

junctionbox.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You really need to consider a trip down to Reno, Tahoe or Las Vegas soon
Are you saying this out of intuition, or documented cases where these connectors had weather related failures when used correctly? I've had failures in some outdoor cat cable splices, and other connectors in underground boxes, but never in a pigtail connector. I see the post above documents a failure after 7 years. The longest I've gone is about 5 years because of Andy and his improved cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you saying this out of intuition, or documented cases where these connectors had weather related failures when used correctly?
Neither......even more reputable cases which are my own personal experiences. And no, it wasn't a high percentage, maybe less than 5% but to go back and remedy what likely allowed the problem taught me to go the extra mile to hopefully prevent such problems in the future, but maybe that's just me....overly proactive. As usual, YMMV

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If this is about the camera pigtail connector, make than everybody minus one. I have 6 cameras up in trees with no enhancements on the pigtail connector, and never had a failure. The only precautions I take are to make sure the center gasket is captured tightly and cleanly between the halves, that the gasket around the data wire is firmly compressed, and the connector is close to vertical with the camera end up. Nothing wrong with a wrap of coax seal around the barrel, I've just not had the need. I do seal the power connector with coax seal or GB Duct Seal.
UV will rot the waterproof connectors eventually.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm obviously in the minority with this. (Understatement !) I stand by my "correction": With apparently only one exception, nobody here would trust the waterproof connector.

If they keep working I'll do nothing. If I have a failure I'll fix it. My biggest connection headaches have been with the double-female connectors in underground boxes. They have needed extra sealing, and a royal pain to work on in the winter.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't use the word nobody as a literal meaning lol. It was hyperbole meaning that most here wouldn't trust just it, especially if it isn't tucked into a soffit or junction box....

Reaction score
I am at a stage in my life that I have difficulty walking and my wife has banned me from ladders. :(

We will be moving to our home in Florida and will, obviously, install cameras. In fact already buying from Andy, who is awesome!

I have someone lined up to pull the Ethernet and will make sure that all connectors are put together as described above. I don’t want to try to fix something once it is installed because I can no longer reach the problem to fix it. A little more time at install is worth it in my case.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't use the word nobody as a literal meaning lol. It was hyperbole meaning that most here wouldn't trust just it, especially if it isn't tucked into a soffit or junction box....
C'mon man, I'm certainly not the only OCD nitpicker here that takes everything literally. There must be at least a ton of us, well over 2,000 pounds. Maybe even 2 tons of us.

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the dielectric grease? like how much of it do you use?

The other connections are audio, alarm, 12v in and of course the ethernet port, should i tape them all up or just the ethernet port?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the dielectric grease? like how much of it do you use?
I put a 1/4" round dab in the RJ-45 female and plug the male in and out several times.

The other connections are audio, alarm, 12v in and of course the ethernet port, should i tape them all up or just the ethernet port?
I would if I was going to the effort of treating the Ethernet.
  • With a swab or small rag smear a lighting coating on the outer chrome collar of the RCA female and the tip of the RCA male the plug/unplug a couple of times, twist some when plugged in.
  • Same process with the 12VDC coaxial male & female.
  • Test and insure all is working then tape them up first with self-vulcanizing rubber tape and then tightly with 3M 33+.
  • If you get any on your fingers (that's what I use), wipe then wash your hands well......you do NOT want any of that in your eyes!
EDIT: 12/10 @1433 hrs CST: In case you have insomnia, here's CRC's MSDS ==>> SAFETY DATA SHEET

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am at a stage in my life that I have difficulty walking and my wife has banned me from ladders. :(
Lord, my wife is on me about that as well. And she's right...if I was to fall and hit the ground I think you'd just have to sweep me up with a broom and a dustpan! :lol:
I have someone lined up to pull the Ethernet and will make sure that all connectors are put together as described above. I don’t want to try to fix something once it is installed because I can no longer reach the problem to fix it. A little more time at install is worth it in my case.
Good idea. As you know, damp air is bad enough but throw in a little salt and the problems caused by corrosion of ultra-low current connections can go into overdrive. Perfect place to justify using dielectric grease and the extra steps to seal the connections.

Heck, the air 1/8 mile from the Pacific Ocean in Monterrey, CA and Pacifica, CA wreaked havoc in the nearby traffic signal heads, connectors, terminals and relay contacts in the cabinets and some were connections of much higher current like .5 to 5 Amps @ 120VAC.

Last edited: