Can We Flash Lights or trigger a dog bark sound from a cam event...?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my $0.02 if you want to do this, do it based on real motion sensors, pressure sensors, things wired to your doorbell, etc. Having it trigger every time a shadow makes it think there's motion or a spider crawls in front of the cameras will drive you mad.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I flash lights on an "event".
The events that are trustworthy are IVS events (tripwire, intrusion zone) and a laser line I have connected to an "alarm in" input on the NVR.
The alarm out on the NVR can be used to turn on stobes, alarm siren, or I imagine, something to play the sound of a barking dog.

Your question was too general to generate specific, detailed answers.

Answer1: yes, depending on eqpmt.
Answer2: no, not with your eqpmt.

As tangent pointed out, spiders could trigger the dog bark sound effect. Barking dogs don't deter spiders, lol....

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends. What cams and recording equipment do you have?
I don't have a system yet.... just doing some research before my first system purchase. My first thought was understanding that a camera event such as, motion detection within a certain area could trigger a light to turn on or a dimmed light to go bright or a strobe to activate or a dog barking sound to play within your home.... I'm still interested in these possibilities. However, is there a way to detect a dog barking sound and then take action on that event? The action item might include: flashing a light, recording the date and time of the event, recording audio/video of the event, playing an ultrasonic sound that tells the dog to shut up! Can we get that fancy without breaking the bank...? :)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Macfun,
You joined this forum Monday. Welcome!
So I understand the basic curiosity and questions.
First: Cameras aren't "security", per se. Alarm systems, esp monitored alarms are.
2nd: Cameras can augment security systems, and show "who done it"

a camera event such as, motion detection within a certain area could trigger a light to turn on or a dimmed light to go bright or a strobe to activate or a dog barking sound to play within your home
You're talking "home automation" at this point. A camera won't tell a dimmed lite to go brite.
A camera event could cause a dog bark mp3 toplay (with some clever work)

is there a way to detect a dog barking sound and then take action on that event
Cameras can detect audio events. I gave up. Planes and other noises caused too many false alarms.

The action item might include: flashing a light, recording the date and time of the event, recording audio/video of the event, playing an ultrasonic sound that tells the dog to shut up!
You're a recent member of the forum. Welcome.
Please get up to speed on how to research the questions and answers to other new members.
There is a wealth of Q&A here. And learning is faster if you dig thru that treasure trove.tune
Lastly, basic questions from newbies are so similar, and so basic, that the experts here have become fatigued answering them, over and over.
Not to dis you. Jus sayin'

Do your homework, your research. When you ask specific, detailed questions, you'll get awesome answers.
Folks that don't put in that effort, and want experts to educate them, and solve their particular camera situation, don't get worthwhile answers.

Fastb

PS: tangent and looney2ns had excellent advice

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FastB, I totally get it.... I will dig more through the archives and try to answer my more basic questions.....

Thanks,

R

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm probably just going to have to start buying a few cams and an NVR as part of the learning curve.

StefanB

n3wb
Reaction score
I like where you're going with this. Please post when you have a final setup!

You might want to read this thread.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a system yet.... just doing some research before my first system purchase. My first thought was understanding that a camera event such as, motion detection within a certain area could trigger a light to turn on or a dimmed light to go bright or a strobe to activate or a dog barking sound to play within your home.... I'm still interested in these possibilities. However, is there a way to detect a dog barking sound and then take action on that event? The action item might include: flashing a light, recording the date and time of the event, recording audio/video of the event, playing an ultrasonic sound that tells the dog to shut up! Can we get that fancy without breaking the bank...? :)
Depends on where you're hiding your degree in electrical engineering / computer science or what breaking the bank means.

If you want to detect your dog barking, the best option would be a modified bark collar that transmits a signal when the dog barks and doesn't shock the dog or make a sound.