Can you import Ring Doorbell video to Blue Iris?

CB1

n3wb
Reaction score
before I got invested in setting up some perimeter monitoring (I live in a great neighborhood, but one old man has lost his common sense and thinks tweakers make excellent roomies) I purchased a ring doorbell. I find this thing to be extremely frustrating most of the time. But I dont' want to go purchase more hardware to replace something that does an OK job. I'm curious if there is a way to automatically download and import Ring video into Blue Iris? I find BI to be a much more efficient way to review video and RING's website and app no so much. any thoughts are appreciated!
cb

CB1

n3wb
Reaction score
I know they don't have an API to allow it, I did see a project with someone who got upset enough by a tweet to figure out their API and made a doorbot json app (haven't been able to figure it out quite yet). I'm no BI or camera pro, so I'm thinking it may be able to be leveraged to setup on my BI server to pull videos as they show up on the Ring cloud and import to BI (or perhaps make a plugin/extention on BI to pull them automatically)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know they don't have an API to allow it, I did see a project with someone who got upset enough by a tweet to figure out their API and made a doorbot json app (haven't been able to figure it out quite yet). I'm no BI or camera pro, so I'm thinking it may be able to be leveraged to setup on my BI server to pull videos as they show up on the Ring cloud and import to BI (or perhaps make a plugin/extention on BI to pull them automatically)
Instead of trying to make a crappy doorbell work with BI, install a proper camera...problem solved...even it you got it work (like nest cams, that work but often times have issues) you would be constantly uploading and downloading from the cloud...silly..

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
To me, a doorbell camera is pretty close to useless. FIsheye distortion if and when you can maintain a solid Wifi Connection. Too many need "cloud" connections and for the cost of them you can buy a decent POE camera to watch the front door and get a real, usable image that doesn't drop out when a fly goes through the WiFi path. Add a simple intercom and it's a good, reliable, system.

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Hikvision doorbell cam, but in my case I tend to stay away from wi-fi cams altogether. Doorbird is the only one that I found at the time of my decision that offered wired LAN connection, POE, and an API which I used to get it into my Blueiris, (not to mention that it is a true IP camera). Blueiris has since added it to their list of cameras. It is definitely NOT USELESS, as it is an added security camera to my front door and provides all the features of a video doorbell. The Doorbird is smart enough to know when you are on the same LAN with your mobile device and gives you a direct connection (NO LAG like Ring), I mean instant because it does not route through the cloud, and it knows when your not on your LAN to connect your mobile via the cloud. German Engineering. You buy it, you own it, no monthly fee. I have had mine for years and I love it.

EDIT: They claim it is a hi-res camera but I could not get anything but 640x480 out of it. But it still serves it's purpose very, very well.

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
No matter how you cut it it's still a compromise. PoE is a vast improvement over the WiFi stuff, for sure, but 640x480 isn't up to current "standards". The Doorbird does sound more useful and at least provides a solid network connection and doesn't require a cloud based connection to work properly and reliably.

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No matter how you cut it it's still a compromise.
Well the way I cut it, it is not a compromise. I think what your saying is don't bank on this being your security camera, and I do agree with that. In my case, I have four cameras on the front of the house, the Doorbird makes number five. As I stated, it is an "added" security camera but just as a sidebar, it's true purpose is a video doorbell. So if it is his intent to specifically find a video doorbell (one that has a doorbell button) that he can answer even when he's not at home, then this suits the bill and you get the blueiris connection just as a bonus. True, it would be nice if it was a hi-res camera.

Last edited: