Can you please help me with set up planning for our property?

jeremylatz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Great forum, been reading for a while and what great resources! Thanks.

I started by looking at some Hikvision cameras and was about to bite the proverbial, but am now considering Dahua due to the recommendations here. I'm quite new to everything technical but am trying hard to work it all out so thanks for the help.

Wondering if you can please give feedback on my plan:

4 cameras

1. Facing out the front side of the house - I need to see out to 30-35 feet (where the street hits). I want to see cars and faces. Also want to detect when someone crosses a line into property. But also see close - less than 5 feet (same: faces, activity)

2. Front door - I can't decide where to place the camera. I want it out of reach of theft/breaking but if it's too high (say 7 feet), the person just has to duck their head down and I would miss their face. If it's too low, can't they just break it? Also is it worth it to get one (relatively) high cost camera just for this smallish area? I guess the answer is yes.

3. Front side of the house Cam 1 cannot reach. I can do a wider angle and try to capture the front door and the other side.

4. Backyard. Can the camera capture this whole area? 35 feet by 35 feet. Again I am looking for motion detection, face detection.

Need great night vision for all the cams as lighting is very dim and in the back area, it's motion detection lights in some areas.

Questions on setup

1. Is it OK if I get cat5 cables and run the wiring along the eaves of the property as opposed to inside? This would make it a bit easier for me as I'm dreading the installation of the cables.

2. Is it better to get an NVR or POE switch? And how do I then store to NAS? If I get BlueIris does this forfeit the need for an NVR? I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how these all fit together

3. Also with the NVR is there a preferred location for it? I was told I have to plug camera cables into NVR or POE switch and THEN connect it to my network router - is this correct? If so, should I just put the NVR into the same room as the network router? Saves cabling??

4. For actually viewing the cameras, does anyone here used a fixed monitor? Can I just set one up in a separate room from the NVR and router? If so, how do I maintain connectivity?

Thank you so much for any and all assistance. I'm very grateful!

J

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I started by looking at some Hikvision cameras and was about to bite the proverbial, but am now considering Dahua due to the recommendations here. I'm quite new to everything technical but am trying hard to work it all out so thanks for the help.

4 cameras

1. Facing out the front side of the house - I need to see out to 30-35 feet (where the street hits). I want to see cars and faces. Also want to detect when someone crosses a line into property. But also see close - less than 5 feet (same: faces, activity)

2. Front door - I can't decide where to place the camera. I want it out of reach of theft/breaking but if it's too high (say 7 feet), the person just has to duck their head down and I would miss their face. If it's too low, can't they just break it? Also is it worth it to get one (relatively) high cost camera just for this smallish area? I guess the answer is yes.

3. Front side of the house Cam 1 cannot reach. I can do a wider angle and try to capture the front door and the other side.

4. Backyard. Can the camera capture this whole area? 35 feet by 35 feet. Again I am looking for motion detection, face detection.

Need great night vision for all the cams as lighting is very dim and in the back area, it's motion detection lights in some areas.

Questions on setup

1. Is it OK if I get cat5 cables and run the wiring along the eaves of the property as opposed to inside? This would make it a bit easier for me as I'm dreading the installation of the cables.

2. Is it better to get an NVR or POE switch? And how do I then store to NAS? If I get BlueIris does this forfeit the need for an NVR? I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how these all fit together

3. Also with the NVR is there a preferred location for it? I was told I have to plug camera cables into NVR or POE switch and THEN connect it to my network router - is this correct? If so, should I just put the NVR into the same room as the network router? Saves cabling??

4. For actually viewing the cameras, does anyone here used a fixed monitor? Can I just set one up in a separate room from the NVR and router? If so, how do I maintain connectivity?

J
Here is a good resource: IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-04.docx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

4 cameras

Questions on setup

I am doing this for three of my cameras, but will use NMT (gray PVC).

PoE switch and Blue Iris (NVR software) for the most flexibility. You need a computer to install BI on and it can hold the HDD’s for storage.

You can use the built-in web server in BLue Iris to view from other computers in the house.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro