Can you recommend the camera model for my situation?

minmay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been reading a lot about camera and Hikvision seems to be the recommended brand. I get so confused with all the options being offer. Can you help me pick out bunch of camera for the house?

a. I just bought a QNAP TS453 Pro model that includes a surveillance software.
b. I just bought a 10 port POE Cisco switch.

I guess I need outdoor cameras now.

1. I would like to have 1 camera near the front door entrance.
2. I would like another camera pointing at the garage driveway.
3. I would like to have a camera pointing at the patio door.
4. I would like to have a camera pointing at the street so that I can see what car passes by the street.
5. I would like to have night vision for them as well.
6. I guess varifocal is a plus
7. The clearer picture, the better.
8. Should I get bullet or dome?
9. Is there any other hardware or cable that I need to buy to attach it to the Cisco POE switch?
10. If there are other recommended brand besides Hikvision, then please let me know.
11. I was thinking about buying 1 Axis camera for the street viewing, but not sure if it's necessary.

Thank you so much in advance,

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Minmay,
As we do not know the distances and field view you want to manage, it's quite difficult to recommend this or that.
Wide angle is 2.8mm and better ones 4mm for general viewing.
But as all will depend relating to distances and angle view you want to see.
There is no magic way here, only logic.
First step is to take some still pictures of your environment.
Then only, we can suggest... :-=
Hope this helps.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As riri7707 said, 4mm lenses are great for general purpose cameras. That is why 4mm is the default lens size in most Hikvision cameras. It is a good balance between wide and narrow. 2.8mm is the wider option, available on most cameras (but not the 2032 bullet). 6mm and upward are narrower, ideal for when you want to view a smaller area that is further away, such the end of your driveway.

Some specific responses to some of your numbered points:

5. Almost all the camera models have night vision.
6. Varifocal lenses add to the price and size of each camera. They are nice to have if you are uncertain of what type of lens you need for any particular placement though.
7. Most of Hikvision's cameras are available in 1.3MP and 3MP varieties. The 1.3MP are said to do slightly better in low light (e.g. at night) while the 3MP cams do better during the day and under bright night lighting.
8. I prefer bullet cameras because they are very small and they are the easiest to install and aim. But there are some downsides. The 2032 bullet camera is not available with a 2.8mm lens, and they are not vandal resistant at all. Most other styles are a bit more vandal resistant and have 2.8mm lens options, but they are usually a bit larger and slightly more troublesome to mount.
9. You need network cable. Ideally cat6 cable that has solid copper wire (not copper clad aluminum -- CCA). You can choose between buying pre-built cables of specific lengths, or you can buy a spool of cable, some RJ45 connectors, and a crimping tool to build the cables yourself. Building the cables yourself is more work of course, but it is the best way to go if you really want the installation to be clean with custom length cables and minimum size holes to drill.
10. Dahua is a good brand too, but it is best to stick to just one brand if you can, because each manufacturer has apps you may want to use.
11. I would say not necessary. Axis cameras are very expensive and the performance does not justify the price for most users. You get a lot more bang for your buck with a well chosen Hikvision or Dahua cam.

minmay

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and upload them.

Again, thank you. Your recommendation is much appreciated.

minmay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello riri7707 and bp2008

Here is a picture of me standing at the front door of the house, looking out to the street. I hope you're able to picture the distance to the street. I would like to have one camera to see all the cars coming in and out of this area. Let me know your suggestion.

What's your recommendation for a garage driveway view? front door view? patio door view?

I'm thinking that I would like to focus on clearer view during the day instead of night time. I'll be home at night so I don't think I would need surveillance in the dark as much as I do during the day. So maybe I should go with 3MP camera? I guess I should go with all bullet camera for easier installation. I think I should buy the vari-focal lenses. I think I should go with the 4mm for general viewing. I prefer the natural viewing.

Based on the above info, what is your recommendation?

Again, thank you in advance.

Attachments

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suppose the distance to crossing road is around 25/30 meters.
So 4mm will be too wide .
More to go to 8mm or 12mm (specially if you want to identify and catch car plates offline).
But if you can have a varifocal lens, you will be able to adjust perfectly your angle to exact field view you want to have.
And if after you want to change the vision field, will be very easy.

Here you can have 2 choices : manual varifocal (you need manually to setup) or motorized varifocal (you can manage that from camera GUI).
Pricing is quite different , but you win on flexibility.

Hope these helps.