Cannot configure email on HIKVision NVR

hhliu

n3wb
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
Hi,

I have IP camera DS-2CD2042WD-I with FW 5.4.0 connected to POE switch and then to QNAP. I had similar problem with getting emails to work. I run a wee test:
1) I mirrored the POE switch port to which camera is connected, connected the laptop, run a Wireshark and found that once email test is initiated, the camera sends a requests to DNS server for IP class AAAA (IPv6), gets reply and then sends a second query to DNS server for IP class A (IPv4) and gets response but with two different IP addresses associated with smtp.gmail.com and the test fails, no further queries from camera.
2) I run another test but this time I typed in Port SMTP field an IP as per one of IP from second DNS response previous test and run the send email test. This time the test was successful, with appropriate Wireshark logs present. My general conclusion is that camera FW does not cope when more than one IP address being advertised by DNS server. Hardcoded IP should work until gmail change SMTP IP address.

I sent above observation to Hikvision on 26[SUP]th[/SUP] July but have not received any reply yet, not even an acknowledgement. Has anyone else got any better experience with Hikvision customer support?

Best regards,
Michal​
[/FONT]
I did have the same problem. After millions of trials, I gave up and setup a Postfix SMTP relay on a virtual machine running Ubuntu on my NAS. Now it works! Apparently there's something strange for Hikvision software, which failed to communicate well with Google SMTP server.

HHLiu

DZSYSTEMS

n3wb
Reaction score
I did have the same problem. After millions of trials, I gave up and setup a Postfix SMTP relay on a virtual machine running Ubuntu on my NAS. Now it works! Apparently there's something strange for Hikvision software, which failed to communicate well with Google SMTP server.

HHLiu
Any chance you have a guide on how to setup the postfix SMTP relay? I have been trying for sometime now and can't get the camera to talk to postfix.