Cannot connect outside of LAN

Reaction score
I have set up my phone software with the external address from my pc BI web server section, but it never will connect. Yes, I'm a newbie, so any help will be appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You either need to set up port forwarding or use vpn....there are posts about both...Let us know if you have any problem.

Reaction score
Thought I had set up port forwarding, but certainly that must be the problem. Don't know for sure if I've done it right, but certainly don't know how to check it. Any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, what port is your blue iris server on..if its 80 then change it to something else, like 8585...
Then make sure you forward port 8585 to the local ip address of your blue iris machine (the lan ip address listed in the blue iris webserver page)
Finally, when you type in your external ip addresses dont forget to follow it with :8585 to specify the port so if the address is 24.234.562.23 you need to type in 24.234.562.23:8585 if your port is 8585

Reaction score
Here is what my port forwarding page from my router looks like:

The 192.168.1.6 is my camera. 192.168.1.9 is the windows computer that blue iris is on.

Here is what my Blue Iris web server page looks like:

OK, now what?

Attachments

Reaction score
That is how it was set up when I installed the camera. (Plug and Play, I think) So do I need to change the port in the web server to another number, ie 6000 or whatever, and then do something in port forwarding in my router, and if so what? Told you I was a NEWBIE!!!! :shame:

Reaction score
Believe it or not I got it figured out!!!! Changed the web server to :6000, and then went in and added 192.168.1.9 to the port forwarding screen in my router and set the port forwarded as 6000. Of course, now it seems so simple! Thank you genuinely! I can not call myself a newbie, but don't have to put it in BOLD letters!!!:peaceful:

Reaction score
Uh oh, new issue. I had set up my camera to send pictures to Weather Underground through FTP in Blue Iris. I have a weather station registered with them, etc., etc. It had worked perfectly since about noon yesterday and I just looked at the WU site for my weather station and the last picture uploaded was from 1:00:30 today. Reloaded the page and it showed the same. Went back into BI to the FTP servers tab; opened my Weather Underground setup and ran "Test" and it showed it working. Any suggestions Oh Guru?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is how it was set up when I installed the camera. (Plug and Play, I think) So do I need to change the port in the web server to another number, ie 6000 or whatever, and then do something in port forwarding in my router, and if so what? Told you I was a NEWBIE!!!! :shame:
Great, now disable the port forward going to the camera...there is no need for it and exposes it to the net for no reason, its not secure..all you need is the blue iris port forward..