Cannot connect via DDNS, but can with wan ip

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So here's a weird new problem. If I am outside of my network and I put in my dynamic name server address and port number, in my browser, ui3 comes up every time. Rock Solid, quick, and reliably.

However, in the blue iris app, if I use that same domain name and port number, select http, it will Spin and spin and eventually say that it cannot connect to the server. If I replace the dynamic domain name with the actual IP address, it will connect.

If I am on another public ip, for example at walmart, or mcdonald's, it works 100% using the dynamic domain name service in the app.

Likewise, if I connect to my VPN Home Server, it will Connect using the dynamic domain name server (I am leaving the lan portion with the local IP blank).

So for some reason the dynamic domain name service does not work on my Verizon service. It works from Wi-Fi both on my land or on a public wi-fi. And it also works on Verizon when I'm using my VPN to connect to my home. I am stymied. It doesn't make sense that ddns doesn't work in One path but on all others it does

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I've experienced similar hiccups like this in the past... thankfully infrequently. Once in a blue moon, a number of staff will not be able to access work resources for 2-3 days when they are at home, or at home of friends & family. After testing, and 20 questions, we learn the locations (at the time) are all serviced by the same ISP in a close geographical region. Sometimes it's Charter, next time it's comcass, then at times verizon. After 2-3 days, the issue solves itself.
How long have you been experiencing this?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just noticed it yesterday. As I normally use use exclusively, I hadn't attempted the app in a while, so it may have been longer than 48hrs. It's just odd that it works for a browser in Verizon cellular data, but not the app.