Cannot see Hikvision cam image when trying to configure events or motion

JMSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a Hikvision Network camera, DS-2CD2046G2-IU/SL, 4MP with the latest firmware. This camera has a white light, which I've been trying to configure to come on for events or motion without luck. To configure the camera I've been logging into my NVR and then going to Conguration -> Camera Management. I select the link for the camera to connect to it. It connects as expected. However when I try to configure for an event or motion the camera image does not appear. I draw the area and define the max and min, which saves but the white light never comes on. I guessing but think that since I don't have an image to define the area, min and max the settings are not saved? Side note; I'm using an iMAC v12.7 Monterey and trying to view the images in Safari v17. In addition when logging into the camera the following error appears:
Opening the live view failed. Please change a browser, reinstall the control, check the network connection or contact our technical support for troubleshooting.

Contacting Hikvision was of no use. Based on my serial number and model number they are saying my device is not from the North American region, which is crazy since I purchased it from an company in Texas which sells Hikvision products. Thats another story which I'm in discussion with the vendor.

One thought is trying to log in using a Windows laptop. The Camera interface may be more compliant in a Windows OS. the Day/Night Image config is attached. Please let me know if more info is needed.

Thoughts on how to get the white light to come on by either motion or events? Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Their response is not surprising.

We simply are not their target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from for sales, support or firmware updates.

Many people have bought a "Hikvision" or "Dahua" from Amazon or some shady foreign website or a 3rd party seller and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt - we have dozens of threads were people come here after trying that route. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer.

There are lots of 3rd party resellers of this gear and that is who you have to go to for questions and support.

More than likely that camera GUI will work in Internet Explorer (yea we know). Many of these cameras still center around that browser and thus the plug-in to view the cameras only work in Internet Explorer for many models. I suspect that is why you got the error you did. Some have had success with the Pale Moon browser as well. But don't try Edge or Chrome with the IE tab as it won't work and needs to be plain ole Internet Explorer.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since you are on imac, please go to Network -> Advanced network -> Integrations and enable Websocket/Websockets.

New cams allow redirecting stream over websockets.

Hope it helps. If not you will need to grab windows pc to configure it with internet explorer.

JMSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was able to view the cam images using a Windows PC using Internet Explorer. Finally! I'm still having issues getting the white light to come on but I'll post another question on that. I confirmed that the white light does work because one of the configurations I tired under Image Day/Night did enable it.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

BankBuster

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Just to add, I followed some instructions from the web regarding "how to still run Internet Explorer", I think it was from PCMag's site via a Google search, and I changed a couple things they recommended and had success. Thus the share..

From memory (crap memory, sorry),,, but go under Edge settings, under Default browser, change to "allow" sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode (IE Mode), and then I added a my (very old) HIKVision NVR IP address (just the IP digits from my failing Chrome tab) and added the similar address from the live view tab which was just black window, .../doc/page/preview.asp, then relaunched the Edge browser. Now things as as they were with IE.
I had also installed the plugging the black viewing screen askes for too. A few times as I fumbled around. Now I can see my old cameras again without the "Live View Failed" error. I probably should upgrade my NVR some day too, It's an old 4 port HikVision NVR with a couple Hik cameras, and a couple of newer Starlight Dahua cameras running in ONVIF Protocol. So the cameras and sound work fine, but the alarms don't pass through right for the two newer cameras.

And to setup the cameras, I need to get right out the their own individual IP addresses to get full list of options, and I need to remember to go into the HIKVision NVR settings and toggle and save the "Enable Virtual Host" off, and then back to "checked on" to reset it, in order to get through to the cameras to really play with their settings. This setting is under Config / Network / Advanced Settings / Other for me.
Just a blurb in case others are having similar issues with Edge and EI being phased out and searching for ideas to try.
I only digiging into this NVR after a year or so as my outdoor mic fell off and stopped working. I replaced the fuse and still crappy sound,, thus I was wanting to try the Audio encoder settings as I may have messed them up trying things when the fuse was blown (soaked mic).

link to article mentioned above

My NVR is DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P with V3.4.6 build 160324
The firmware is likely very old, but it's working. Hopefully not hacked lol.

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On Edge in IE mode, I have to hit the play button in live view before video starts - and before I can set any detection parameters.