Cannot Set IP Address

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just got my first Dahua camera, a IPC-HDW5442T-ZE. I downloaded the ConfigTool and was able to set a new password. However, I can't change the IP address. It keeps staying at 192.168.1.108. Also about half the time when I hit the refresh button the camera doesn't even show up. When I go on the website 192.168.1.108 I can log in but the stream doesn't come on and I can't navigate to the settings tab. Nothing shows up and eventuall I get an error "This site can't be reached. 192.168.108 refused to connect".

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you can log into the cameras user interface, go to the network tab and change the ip manually through there. No cofig tool necessary if your computer is also on the 192.168.1.x network

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. That's what I tried to do, i.e. go to the settings page but it wouldn't pull up. After many trials I got there but the first couple of times it also wouldn't change the IP address. I think it was the 3rd time when I got to the settings site when it did take the new IP address. Really strange.... Btw, if somebody runs into the same issue, as soon as you log in and get on the main page immediately click on the settings tab. Then it usually pulls up (not always). If you wait for some 5+ seconds on the main page the settings page doesn't show up. Again, really strange but that is what happened.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Try various browsers. Some work better than others. IE and Pale Moon seem to work best.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@bigredfish Thanks! I will keep this in mind. With IE do you mean to old IE or the Chrome based Edge? If it's the latter then I assume Google Chrome should work well, too?

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got my first Dahua camera, a IPC-HDW5442T-ZE. I downloaded the ConfigTool and was able to set a new password. However, I can't change the IP address. It keeps staying at 192.168.1.108. Also about half the time when I hit the refresh button the camera doesn't even show up. When I go on the website 192.168.1.108 I can log in but the stream doesn't come on and I can't navigate to the settings tab. Nothing shows up and eventuall I get an error "This site can't be reached. 192.168.108 refused to connect".

I struggled with this too when first using the config tool. You need to initialize the cam (sounds like you've done that already) THEN click on the pencil icon in the row of that camera and select "DHCP" THEN click on the"Search setting" icon at the top of the program and set the IP range to include the IP cam's IP address making sure to type in the new password that the camera has. Then it will grab a new IP based on DHCP which you'll see when you refresh screen - after the camera reboots. Hopefully I described it ok for you... I always missed the step of clicking the "Search setting" icon, changing the IP range and adding in the cams password....

After that you'll have an accessible IP address that you can use in Explorer, chrome....

Last edited:
Reaction score
What has worked for me, for the 20 Dahua cams that I have, is to first use the config tool to initialize and set a password. I then use the proper web browser to log into the cam at 192.168.1.108 to change the settings and finally the IP address. I always use a static IP address.

For cams I purchased prior to June 2019 I use Google Chrome NACL plugin. For cams I purchased since December of 2019 I use MS Edge. I have never updated any of the firmware on theses cams.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I will take this into consideration if I replace more of my HikVision cams with Dahua cams.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What has worked for me, for the 20 Dahua cams that I have, is to first use the config tool to initialize and set a password. I then use the proper web browser to log into the cam at 192.168.1.108 to change the settings and finally the IP address. I always use a static IP address.

For cams I purchased prior to June 2019 I use Google Chrome NACL plugin. For cams I purchased since December of 2019 I use MS Edge. I have never updated any of the firmware on theses cams.
Why that doesn't work for me, and maybe the OP, is that my LAN is on a different subnet (192.168.0.xxx) so it's a pain to go to my network setting to change my computers subnet to 192.168.1.xxx (the Dahua's default). The way I mentioned above doesn't involve changing any setting to the computers subnet.

Reaction score
is that my LAN is on a different subnet
I physically isolate my cam LAN (192.168.3.xxx) from my home LAN and internet (192.168.1.xxx). I do that by using dual NICs in my BI server and my office desktop PC. So both machines have access to both LANs. I have two switches in my office, one on each LAN. So to set up a new cam, I just plug it into the 192.168.1.xxx switch to do the work with the config tool and resetting the IP. Then I move the cam to the other switch to test everything else.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I physically isolate my cam LAN (192.168.3.xxx) from my home LAN and internet (192.168.1.xxx). I do that by using dual NICs in my BI server and my office desktop PC. So both machines have access to both LANs. I have two switches in my office, one on each LAN. So to set up a new cam, I just plug it into the 192.168.1.xxx switch to do the work with the config tool and resetting the IP. Then I move the cam to the other switch to test everything else.
Cool! I just have a basic single NIC setup. I'm not overly network savvy so I can easily get in over my head if I get too ambitious with things and reach a point of no return LOL....:D I mean I have done up my own Ubiquiti setup but I haven't ventured into VLANs....

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@bradner HikVision is actually much better in this regard. Their SADP tool sees any HikVision camera, even cams on a different subnet. Then you can change the IP address. It's super easy. In my case I was lucky because my home network is already on 192.168.1.xxx. The instructions for Dahua cams tell you that you first need to change the IP configuration on your computer to be on the same subnet (if you are on a different one). I do this kind of stuff on almost a daily basis so it's not a big issue but it certainly is inconvenient/confusing for many others.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Go to control panel, network and internet, view network status and tasks, change adapter settings, select the appropriate adapter, right click and select properties, left click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click on properties, click on advanced, click on add and have at it. Remember to add a subnet mask.