Can't change IP in New dahua 5208 NVR 4.0

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the IP address of your PC that you are using to connect to the NVR?

IF it is 192.168.1.x it will find your NVR IF the NVR is at 192.168.1.234

i changed the NVR to 192.168.0.234 and it still wont find it. i'm going to reset my router, i assume since default dahua address is 192.168.1.108, then i should make my network 192.168.1.1, and use DHCP for now to assign my laptop a 192.168.1.xxx IP address, hopefully with everything on the same page it will work but as of right now even on the same subnet it's not "seeing" the NVR

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Funkybunch - You mentioned thinking about going to BI, so I want to throw some observations out to you. I have a new camera where IVS doesn't work well so I figured this was a good time to check out BI, which has the potential to make the IVS not working a moot point. If you're seriously tempted, I suggest you try to reallocate or borrow a machine for a couple of weeks and run the BI demo version. It's not all that hard to load win 10 on a clean disk and put BI on top of it. After running the demo for a couple of weeks I decided to stick with the NVR for at least the short term. I have great fear of appearing to favor an NVR over BI on this forum. It's not that there's anything wrong with BI. It runs rather well, has a lot of nice features, and looks overall easier to use. It's just different, and what's important for me isn't necessarily important to somebody else. There were 3 main reasons I'm sticking with the NVR for now:
(1) With IVS and the NVR, the green box and red trip lines are shown in real time viewing and during playback. I sometimes track small animals and would often never locate what tripped the IVS without the green box and red line. IVS often picks up very low contrast objects that are close to impossible for me to see. If tracking just people or vehicles, this wouldn't be a factor. BI has a way to point out what trips its motion detection, but it's only during playback and requires extra steps.
(2) It looks to me like BI's motion detection capability has the potential to work just as well as tripwire and intrusion, but requires a lot more fiddling and tuning to get it there, compared to just drawing a line with IVS.
(3) Some of my cameras don't send out IVS events over the ONVIF interface, so I'd have to give up IVS with them. My problem, but may or may not be anybody else's problem too. You have to check out each of your cameras to find out.

I'm hoping you can get the NVR working the way you need it. You do need to be able to work directly with the cameras, so that part of the NVR needs to work for you.

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve found that some newer firmware won’t properly accept IP changes without a power cycle.

Make your IP change (to a new static or, if you want a DHCP address to DHCP). If going static, take special note to chose an IP address that is not already assigned to another device on your network. Hit Apply, then power cycle your NVR / XVR.

Once rebooted, check the Network page to ensure the IP has changed / remained as per your new settings.
Now power up your cameras and they’ll be found and assigned an IP in your preferred range.

If attempting to directly connect to an NVR or cameras from your PC, you must temporarily change the IP address of the computer you’re using to match the subnet of the device you’re attempting to connect to. (If your cameras were assigned a 10.0.0.x address, your pc IP address must temporarily be changed to match).

If you then change the IP of the camera to a different subnet, you’ll have to change the IP of your PC to match the camera’s new subnet, or it will time out.

Using an IP subnet other than your Local Area Network means the NVR won’t have internet connectivity(This may be desired depending on your needs).

Last edited:

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 5241H-AS-PV from andy and a new NVR 5208-8P-4KS2E, when you plug the new camera into the nvr, it automatically initializes it and assigns an IP of 10.1.1.65. When you click Main meun - Camera - Camera Registration it shows the camera active and when yo click edit you cannot edit the IP address. The new 4.0 GUI also will not recognize my 5241 settings such as making the LED flash and playing a sound when someone crosses the tripwire. I have smart \plan enabled and IVS tripwire drawn, and the tripwire is not working. If anyone can find the new NVR 4.0 GUI manual (not the HDCVI) please let me know, any help would be appreciated. I purchased this NVR based on andys recommendation and he says the cameras is still new and the NVR doesn't support it yet. When i tried to update the NVR it says it's the latest version. I just can't win. I would be GLAD to post any screenshots.
*** I found the answer and figured i'd post it at the top - it's under Network and switch, you can change the IP address of the ePoE ports, enable HTTPS, and a bunch of other goodies. i can't believe they go into so much detail here yet they are lacking in the camera control department, as of today you cannot adjust the active deterrence settings from NVR 4.0 (sadly) and it's been out for a while. there better be some firmware updates down the line soon. for now you have to go into the camera GUI.