can't connect through blue iris android app to router's vpn

CorporalCuddler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I set up a vpn on my router. I copied the client.ovpn to my android device. I installed OpenVPN on my android device, which is currently running and connected to my router. But, when I turn off wifi on my android device I can not connect to blue iris.

My lan address in the blue iris app has not changed (and still works)

My wan address in the app WAS my public ip with the same port used with the lan. (I was port forwarding)

I THOUGHT when using a vpn I was supposed to change my wan address in the blue iris app to match what's shown in the lan address.

I can't connect. What do I need to put for the wan address and port in the app? Is it not the same as the lan address and port?

I've spent quite a while stuck on this and cannot find an answer, so any help is appreciated.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
The wan address should be whatever openvpn created, For instance, mine is 10.8.x.x

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the wan address in the BI android app should be blank or the exact same as the lan address in the app when using OpenVpn

Completely independent of BI When you open the Openvpn client in the android does it show connected in the phone ? Should have an key icon or a green horse shoe icon ?
Are you using the correct DDNS ?
From the phone can you ping the DDNS ?

CorporalCuddler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I saw your guys' messages, connected to the vpn, went to the blue iris app and with a blank wan address tried connecting. It connected instantly. Then I tried putting in invalid addresses and ports in the wan box and it still worked, so it appears the wan box is ignored when connecting through the vpn, which makes sense because as far as the app is concerned you ARE on your lan. So, I have no idea why, but last night the blue iris app couldn't connect to the vpn, today, trying the same thing, it does connect. Not sure what the problem was last night, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.

Thank you guys for the responses.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it going. My openvpn is on my BI pc, not the router as yours is, but it's good to hear the outcome.