Can't connect with the BI app

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I need some help with setting up the BI app. I have a Galaxy S10 (if it mattters), and I've set up OpenVPN on my ASUS router. My phone and the router both show that the VPN is connected. In the app, I've gone into the edit page, entered in the license info, clicked "Get IPS" which then auto-fills the LAN and WAN, and have entered in the user name and password from the BI settings->users tab. After all that's done, I still get the "unable to connect" notification. Even when my phone is connected to my LAN I still get the same message. What am I doing wrong? Are there any other additional setting I need to do with BI?

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Step 1 is to get it working when you are actually on the LAN. Step 2 will be to fix any problems with VPN.

First, can you access BI camera views via the HTML interface from another computer?

Let's say your BI computer is 192.168.1.100 just for instance. On another computer, go to a browser page an enter this address:

192.168.1.100:81 (of course change the address numbers to match your BI computer's LAN address)

The :81 is important; this is the port used to connect to BI (at least on my installation; YMMV).

If that works, double check your app on your phone and make sure the :81 is appended at the back of the address.

If you aren't able to access BI from within your LAN using the proper machine address and port, it's probably a firewall issue. I once had a problem after a Windows update where I couldn't access it... it turns out that MS decided to switch my BI computer from thinking it was on a private network which it was, to being on a public network, which of course invokes more security blocks and such. I had to switch it back to being on a private network. Come to think of it, another computer I was trying to use to access BI also got switched to Public, and I had to switch that one too.

Also, just double check your mobile access credentials to be sure. We've all made mistakes there... :)
Let us know how it goes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are using the BI app and OpenVPN. the LAN and WAN address are the same local address. Or do not specify the WAN address. There is no WAN when using OpenVPN.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. I got it figured out. Yep, the issue was Blue Iris wasn't allowed through the Windows Firewall. It's listed twice in there (for some reason), and only one had a check mark next to it. Once I put the check mark in both, everything worked perfectly.