can't disable camera labels in UI3

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just upgraded from BI v4 to v5 and I can't turn off the camera labels in UI3 like I could before. I went into the UI3 settings and it shows that the camera labels are turned off, but the labels are still showing. I even tried turning the labels on, closing, restarting my web browser, and then toggling the labels back off and the labels still show up. Is this a bug or am I missing a new setting somewhere in BI v5?
camera labels.PNG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey @piconut. Sorry for the confusion. There are two sets of camera labels now.

There's the labels that UI3 can add on top of the video stream (configurable in UI settings. DISABLED by default).

And there's the labels that Blue Iris can encode into the video. Those are ENABLED by default. You can turn them off by right clicking the video and going to Group Settings. If you want to turn off those labels for all UI3 instances, you need to disable the labels in Blue Iris. To do that, choose the group (e.g. All cameras) from the dropdown in the top bar, then click the little icon that looks like this:

1650412086192.png

That puts BI into "Edit layout" mode. Then you can right click any camera to change settings related to the layout, including turning off the labels.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008 ! That did the trick. For the sake of helping the visual learners, I've posted some screen shots of the selections you mentioned. These are the options available from right clicking the video within the UI3 web interface and selecting group settings:
labels in group settings.PNG
...and the camera labels can be forced on or forced off, regardless of the option chosen within the Blue Iris GUI. If you choose the no preference option here, then the camera name option within the Blue Iris GUI takes precedence.

Then within the Blue Iris GUI, choosing a specific camera group and then the edit layout option gives the user these choices:
camera label options.png
...where the camera names (along with many other options) can be toggled on and off. It seems simplest to me to just use the group settings option within the UI3 web interface. I think I have stated the options and the behavior correctly judging from the results that I observed.