Can't figure out internal storage. Dahua

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought a Dahua turret camera that accepts a MicroSD card for internal storage. I'm having difficulty understanding how this works.

I own a dash cam in my car and I learned the hard way that MicroSD cards can only be written to a certain number of times before they fail. If I leave my dash cam running 24/7, the card will only last a year or two. This has me concerned about the IP camera wearing out the card.

So I have to wonder how this works in a camera. Does the camera constantly record to the memory card or only record to it when it looses a network connection or something? And which stream is recorded to the card? The main stream or the sub stream?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On most cameras you can set it for motion only or continuously. Most of my outside SD cards last about a year, between the texas heat and humidity.

I am currently using a WD purple SD cards, have not killed them yet. I record continuously on the SD card. I do not use motion detection on the camera. The SD is my third level backup. A 64GB purple is about $22.00

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On most cameras you can set it for motion only or continuously. Most of my outside SD cards last about a year, between the texas heat and humidity.

I am currently using a WD purple SD cards, have not killed them yet. I record continuously on the SD card. I do not use motion detection on the camera. The SD is my third level backup. A 64GB purple is about $22.00
AH HA! "Motion Only" makes sense.. I bought a Sandisk 128GB SDXC card rated for 100 MB/sec on ebay for about $21 or something like that. Cranky, I thought the darn camera was going to eat these things for lunch.. but being able to only record motion would fix that problem.

Being out in the rural countryside with a 500 foot driveway, we don't get a lot of motion so the card should last a long time.

Thank you!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of ebay cards are pure crap., even with a good logo.

Always use H2TESTW program to test the SD card before use . It is an old program but works, it is slow but works.

It is the heat,sun,humidity that will kill the card long before the writes will.