Can't get IP address for camera

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The other day I installed a new camera outside. Upon installation I found Unifi had assigned the same IP as an existing camera. After much frustration I found that in one of my more confused moments I had not only set my cameras up for fixed (reserved) IP's in Unifi but also set the cameras themselves to static IP's :(
I was able to get the new camera to work by physically disconnecting the existing one, then I discovered the static issue. OK, no big deal. I went into each existing camera and set them to DHCP as their IP's were already reserved in Unifi.
Now the new camera does not get an IP at all. . .

1592833954673.png

I tried assigning it a fixed IP but no love. Unifi obviously sees it

1592834144181.png

I've manually reset the camera but no change. Any thoughts?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So the camera itself (in its own settings) is set for DHCP and in the Unifi controller you unchecked the "Reserve/Static" IP address for that camera?

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Let the Camera do what it wants to do to bring it back. So if its set to DHCP, remove the static IP for it in Unifi and let it get an IP from DHCP.

Also, just for testing, move the "dry water course" camera away from 192.168.1.108, thats Dahuas default IP. I keep it empty myself so I can setup new cameras.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ahh, thank you for the replies. I have not been able to dive into the new camera - no IP. Unifi defaults to DHCP without a fixed IP. I did not know that .108 was the default for Dahua. Very useful info!

I will change the other camera away from .108 and go from there.

I'll keep you posted with my progress :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a Unify user but would assume that the DHCP setup includes a range to be used. If your cameras are outside of that range they will need to be assigned IP in their own configs.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Sebastiantombs but they all are within range (tho that sounds like something I might do - put them outside of the range).

I thought I had the answer from kn10's post. I checked the 'dry water course' cam and some how I missed changing it to DHCP. It was .108 so went in thru a browser and changed it to DHCP, back into Unifi and gave it .106, saved and refreshed the camera. No change. Although Unifi showed it as .106 BI was still seeing i as .108. So back into the browser, changed it to static, changed the address to .106 and after changing BI to .106 confirmed it was working :) Then i went back into the camera and changed it to DHCP. Its working fine and Unify is set to a fixed (reserved) address so it shouldn't change.

All good? NO :(
I still can't get an IP for the Deck cam. I powered it off/on with no effect. I'm going to try manually resetting it again later. Now I know there is no address conflict.

Life is a learning experience, thanks for the tutelage!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I simply set my DHCP range to start at 100 and reserve the 0-99 range for "fixed" devices like cameras, printers and severs. I do keep a spreadsheet to document everything because I'm OCD and want to know what's what whenever I add something. Saves stepping on my....

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I simply set my DHCP range to start at 100 and reserve the 0-99 range for "fixed" devices like cameras, printers and severs. I do keep a spreadsheet to document everything because I'm OCD and want to know what's what whenever I add something. Saves stepping on my....
lol, my 3 sons have already lectured me on exactly that. When I solve this problem that's my next 2 mini projects - move all the cameras outside the dhcp range and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol, my 3 sons have already lectured me on exactly that. When I solve this problem that's my next 2 mini projects - move all the cameras outside the dhcp range and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
I've always done that as well....I use .200 and up for all my static devices (cams, TV, printer, BI server, etc.) as my router's DHCP pool is .2 to .99. This way you don't have to make an IP reservation in the router, as I've had some clients with DSL modem/router combos that don't even provide IP reservation ability.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A final update. . . Victory!
After several manual resets and physically disconnecting the camera a few times with no success I gave up and received a return auth. I was too busy today to take the camera down so tonight I gave it one more try. I did a manual reset again and pointed everything at 192.168.1.108. It came up :) It actually pinged!
I immediately went into the settings via the browser and reset the camera to initial factory settings. I was able to configure the IP address to what I wanted IF I kept the camera setting as STATIC. It would not work on DHCP.
I'll leave the why for another day. I set it on .105 as a static address and Unifi and BI both love it again.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Next I move all the cameras outside the DHCP range and document everything!