Cant get IVS to trigger.

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a IPC-T5442TM-AS camera and I am trying to get it to trigger a recording whenever something enters a zone.

Some of the things ive done to try and get it to work;
  • I have tested normal motion detection, it does trigger and record as expected.
  • I have turned IVS on in Setting>Event>Smartplan.
  • I have drawn an intrusion zone in Settings>Event>IVS and set it to trigger on entering.
  • Period is properly set to be active at time of testing, sensitivity is 5, no target filters, record is ticked and record delay is 10s.
  • Min/max size is untouched.
  • I poked a stick into the zone, also pranced in and out of it myself.

Live view shows a blue box, but there is no recording, and there is no event in the camera log.
Google is not helping; most of the results are for deprecated software that is no longer applicable.

Does anyone have an idea why the intrusion trigger does not function?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That all seems right.

Is there a blue checkmark next to the rule in the list making it active?

Try setting action to both Appears and Cross checked. Set direction to Enter&Exit. Set Target Filter checked and Human checked under it. Delete any changes to Period made and set it all to active in case something screwy with that. Try going through it again. Live view should show the box turn red.

Events don't show in the logs in a lot of the recent cams so that's not unusual.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also post some screen shots of the settings and video.

Poking a stick won't trigger it LOL.

Are you using Internet Explorer? If not what browser? Some of these are sensitive to browsers and even though it shows set, it really isn't.

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I managed to get it to work; apparently a sensitivity of 5 is not enough to detect a human filling up half the screen? :wave:

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m missing some human detection on one of my 5442’s, especially at night.

I have the intrusion zone set right up to the edges, which I’m wondering may be a factor. I’ll have to change that later, setting it in a bit so maybe it’ll trigger better (if it makes a difference).

But also, where is this human sensitivity setting you are talking about? On the IVS page?

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its not human specific, but its in Setting > Event > IVS

1666622190947.png
I had to jack it up to sensitivity 7 before it would 'hit' on me walking in from the left.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its not human specific, but its in Setting > Event > IVS

View attachment 143616
I had to jack it up to sensitivity 7 before it would 'hit' on me walking in from the left.
Interesting. I don’t have that sensitivity slider option, which would be nice. I also don’t have the “inside” option. Do you know if those settings were added in a firmware update? Also I’m using the verifocal.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have always set my IVS lines somewhat inside the viewing borders, based on the previous recommendations of more experienced members here. The belief here is that the camera needs to "see" and start tracking a moving object before tripping a line (IVS) rule.
Works for me....

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have always set my IVS lines somewhat inside the viewing borders, based on the previous recommendations of more experienced members here. The belief here is that the camera needs to "see" and start tracking a moving object before tripping a line (IVS) rule.
Works for me....
I’m giving it a shot. I also added two trip wires, horizontal and vertical, over the screen to see if that helps.

Which, as I write this, it shockingly didn’t help. It just missed a truck that drove by, but then picked up on the lady walking in the street.

I notice that the red box after picking up a motion stays for a while, at the last place the motion was tracked too. Could this be causing the problem?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This will be user error.
Reset back to defaults, and setup again.
If using a intrusion zone, do not have it close to the edges of the screen edge.
It needs time to determine what it is seeing, and if a person, it needs to pass through the intrusion line.
How are you recording video?
If you have an SD card in the camera, you can see all of this in action during playback of said video.
Or while viewing the live view, you can see how the IVS rules are working or not.
Be sure you have all recording options turned on in the camera setup, if using an SD card.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This will be user error.
Reset back to defaults, and setup again.
If using a intrusion zone, do not have it close to the edges of the screen edge.
It needs time to determine what it is seeing, and if a person, it needs to pass through the intrusion line.
How are you recording video?
If you have an SD card in the camera, you can see all of this in action during playback of said video.
Or while viewing the live view, you can see how the IVS rules are working or not.
Be sure you have all recording options turned on in the camera setup, if using an SD card.
Thanks @looney2ns. I went ahead and deleted the initial intrusion zone and redid it, setting it away from the edges a bit. I also changed the trip wires to work better around vehicles parked in the driveway. I believe one vehicle was blocking enough of the intrusion zone to not trip when a moving vehicle entered the frame.
No SD card, but I was able to view it live and see where it was missing and picking up. So far so good after these changes, and you’re right I believe it needed time along the outside edge to pick up the movement across the line. Appreciate the help.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns. I went ahead and deleted the initial intrusion zone and redid it, setting it away from the edges a bit. I also changed the trip wires to work better around vehicles parked in the driveway. I believe one vehicle was blocking enough of the intrusion zone to not trip when a moving vehicle entered the frame.
No SD card, but I was able to view it live and see where it was missing and picking up. So far so good after these changes, and you’re right I believe it needed time along the outside edge to pick up the movement across the line. Appreciate the help.
Keep in mind, in some instances, Tripwires work better, in others, Intrusion zones work better. It depends on the field of view. Each FOV instance is different.
And you need to draw the settings, while thinking in 3d.

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am back again, with more gripe about the tripwire just not working. :banghead:

Heres a screenshot of Smart PSS;
1667292484639.png
As you can see, there is a blue tripwire in front of the door.

Here are the settings on the cameras webGUI;
1667292625905.png

Even with sensitivity cranked up all the way to 9 I cant get the darn tripwire to trip when a customer walks in.
The schedules (both smartplan AND tripwire) say it should be doing something, but its not.
Ive rebooted the camera, tried clearing it to default and making a new tripwire, nothing works.

Am I missing something crucial here? :idk:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you on default settings?

Post screenshots of exposure, brightness, etc.

That is a lot of dark, so anyone with dark clothing probably won't trip it. You need to adjust the settings so it sees more contrast.

That line is close to the edge of the field of view, so a person could come in quick and the camera not have time to acknowledge it.

Consider an intrusion box.

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Camera settings are all on default.

An intrusion box still wont see anyone coming or going.
There is a rare trigger when a customer dawdles at the door,
but people just casually walking in wont trigger a thing.

1667316250804.png

Ive tried it with Cross and Inside as well, still no trigger.
The 'closed hours' intrusion zone encompasses the entire showroom at shoulder height,
and while it does trigger sometimes, its not reliable enough that I deem it useful.

Plain motion detect might work if I just paint the doormat as a zone,
but this is limited in that it wont let me set different zones for day and night.

Built in detection on the Dahua cams seems a bit flaky.. :drool:
I guess this is why people resort to things like Blue Iris?

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera settings are all on default.

An intrusion box still wont see anyone coming or going.
There is a rare trigger when a customer dawdles at the door,
but people just casually walking in wont trigger a thing.

View attachment 144472

Ive tried it with Cross and Inside as well, still no trigger.
The 'closed hours' intrusion zone encompasses the entire showroom at shoulder height,
and while it does trigger sometimes, its not reliable enough that I deem it useful.

Plain motion detect might work if I just paint the doormat as a zone,
but this is limited in that it wont let me set different zones for day and night.

Built in detection on the Dahua cams seems a bit flaky.. :drool:
I guess this is why people resort to things like Blue Iris?
Honestly, I stopped using IVS as well. It missed enough humans and vehicles to cause me pause, even with a bunch of trip wires and instruction boxes, and especially at night due to contrast issues.

I’ve went back to BI motion and I’m pleased. I will admit, though, that I may change my tune when the flying bugs return in the summer.

Just to be sure, you DO have the light bulb under “Smart Plan” selected, right?

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Honestly, I stopped using IVS as well. It missed enough humans and vehicles to cause me pause, even with a bunch of trip wires and instruction boxes, and especially at night due to contrast issues.

I’ve went back to BI motion and I’m pleased. I will admit, though, that I may change my tune when the flying bugs return in the summer.

Just to be sure, you DO have the light bulb under “Smart Plan” selected, right?
Haha yes, I made that mistake the first time, but I am sure it is on and active.
I am getting occasional pings from it, just very intermittent, more miss than hit.

Thankfully my store is downtown, so not too many bugs creeping about. ;)
Still, sad to see the onboard stuff just not working out for me the way they intended it.
The surprise that I could set these cams to record direct to NAS almost gave me hope that an NVR might not be needed.
But I guess ill have to invest in yet another noisy rack server for this one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You simply need to spend more time dialing it in which is to get off default settings. And then testing different AI rules. Maybe a slight field of view change as well.

The AI works great but it isn't plug n play.