can't save brightness setting on 2032

glenm

n3wb
Reaction score
This is no doubt an utter n00b question, but I can't seem to find the answer googling around.

As background, I have a 2032 on my veranda, where there is less light near the front door than there is farther away. Hence, auto-exposure is a little dark during the day, doing very well out from under the roof, but I can't make out faces near the door. So I'm trying to brighten the image, as streamed to zoneminder.

The problem: I can't seem to save a brightness setting through the camera web UI.

I go to the Image page, either Basic or Advanced, and see the various sliders for image adjustment. I can set the value, but there is no save button, and the image shows no difference when viewed live in zoneminder. And clearly the value isn't being saved, because if I navigate to another screen and back, the value returns to 50. So I'm confused. :) I've tried in IE, Firefox and Chrome.

There *is* a Save button at bottom right of Video/Audio page. But not on the Image page.

So, is there some magic incantation? Some particular browser and version that is needed? Or am I thinking about this wrong, somehow?

FWIW, I don't have the live view working, it tries to load and fails. But I shouldn't think that would be needed ... The camera does seem to be working fine so far as zoneminder is concerned - that is, I can stream video.

And for completeness, this is a DS-2CD2032F-I, Firmware V5.2.3.

thanks in advance,

glen

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
The live view failing is the key. A number of settings on these cameras "self save" when you move them, but that only works if you have the plugin working. From the sounds of your live view failure, you don't. Annoying isn't it. You can try making the changes from ONVIF device manager. I've had a bit of success changing settings that way and getting them to stick also.

glenm

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, shoot, who'd have thought? :) ONVIF might be hard because the cameras are on an isolated subnet, I have a proxy to let the web UI through. I don't suppose discovery could work.

Do you think this is why the live view might not be working either? If it needs anything other than port 80, I shouldn't expect it to work in my current configuration. The camera configures 3 other ports: RTSP (554), HTTPS (443), and Server (8000), are those used by live view?

I guess I can figure out a way to fake out my network with a tunnel or something, at least temporarily.

thanks for the response.

glen

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
That is probably part of the issue. I have cameras on a separate subnet, but proper routing between them so I don't have that issue.

glenm

n3wb
Reaction score
That solved it. I set up routing between the subnets, now live view works, so saving brightness works.

I'd been trying to keep my camera subnet as completely isolated from the real world as possible ... I guess a firewall is in my future. Or maybe I'll just turn off the route when I don't need it.

Thanks for your help

glen

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, a firewall is a good idea in any case. I block the CCTV system. I also block anything running Windows from accessing the world.

Actually, that's the wrong way around. I only explicitly allow specific devices access to the world. Everything else gets blackholed.

glenm

n3wb
Reaction score
> I only explicitly allow specific devices access to the world. Everything else gets blackholed.

This is starting to fall outside the scope of the original thread ... so very simply: yes indeed.