Can't see the forest for the trees!

Caveman_50

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to build my first system and struggling with the overwhelming number of hardware types, Hopefully some of you can help me out. I am starting out small and planning to add on later. I have read through the wiki here so I have some of the basics down but as can be inferred from below I still have a lot to learn.

Qualifiers:
1. Cost - I am happy to spend what is reasonable and necessary but don't need to have the most expensive hardware. Just something that does the job and doesn't require a lot of my time. In terms of good/better/best I usually go for the 'better' option - not sure how much that costs?
2. Remote Access - I would like to be able to easily access everything from my PC or phone.
3. Blue Iris - I see a lot of information about BI but I am not sure if that is something I need or not. Does it replace the need for an NVR or is it an add on?
4. Smarts - I started down this path by looking at Nest Cameras. I landed on an NVR system after reading further but I do like the notifications and smart identification functions that Nest and other smart cameras have. I'm not sure what is possible with NVR systems.
5. Hardware - I had been leaning towards Hikvision but from what I am reading Dahua might be a more popular choice. I am open to suggestions and I'd like flexibility. My biggest hold up is that I am getting tripped up by the multitude of camera and NVR variations and have no idea how to chose.

The system for now:
1. One turret(?) camera for the interior of the garage (20'x20')
2. One turret(?) camera on the exterior of the garage (back alley at the edge of the property is 30' from the garage)
3. An NVR with capacity and bandwidth for 6-8 cameras. I am not planning to have a monitor for this, I assume it will be accessible/configurable via another computer.

Any specific model number recommendations for those pieces of hardware and any other advice would be greatly appreciated! I've got thick skin - feel free to critique.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to build my first system and struggling with the overwhelming number of hardware types, Hopefully some of you can help me out. I am starting out small and planning to add on later. I have read through the wiki here so I have some of the basics down but as can be inferred from below I still have a lot to learn.

Qualifiers:
1. Cost - I am happy to spend what is reasonable and necessary but don't need to have the most expensive hardware. Just something that does the job and doesn't require a lot of my time. In terms of good/better/best I usually go for the 'better' option - not sure how much that costs?
2. Remote Access - I would like to be able to easily access everything from my PC or phone.
3. Blue Iris - I see a lot of information about BI but I am not sure if that is something I need or not. Does it replace the need for an NVR or is it an add on?
4. Smarts - I started down this path by looking at Nest Cameras. I landed on an NVR system after reading further but I do like the notifications and smart identification functions that Nest and other smart cameras have. I'm not sure what is possible with NVR systems.
5. Hardware - I had been leaning towards Hikvision but from what I am reading Dahua might be a more popular choice. I am open to suggestions and I'd like flexibility. My biggest hold up is that I am getting tripped up by the multitude of camera and NVR variations and have no idea how to chose.

The system for now:
1. One turret(?) camera for the interior of the garage (20'x20')
2. One turret(?) camera on the exterior of the garage (back alley at the edge of the property is 30' from the garage)
3. An NVR with capacity and bandwidth for 6-8 cameras. I am not planning to have a monitor for this, I assume it will be accessible/configurable via another computer.

Any specific model number recommendations for those pieces of hardware and any other advice would be greatly appreciated! I've got thick skin - feel free to critique.
Hi @Caveman_50

Recommend the following:
1x affordable decent IP camera ( many pick up the Amcrest 5MP for about $50-60 .. could be more now )
1x good varifocal 4MP camera from Andy w/a 1/1.18" sensor

you can compare and contrast between those as you learn and then use your experience to guide you on any additional cameras you may like.

Last edited: