Can't upgrade firmware or factory reset NVR5216-16P-4KS2

skipdup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My NVR5216-16P-4KS2 has been acting wonky, so I wanted to start over.

From the NVR (& mouse), I tried doing a factory reset. It fails.

I've tried upgrading my firmware from 3.210 to 3.216 - from the NVR console (memory key) and SmartPSS (mac). Everything fails.

I'm betting this is user error, but I've yet to figure out how.

Can anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks,Skip

skipdup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well,, I've rebooted several times. And physically cut the power a few times.
But, since I'm not sure what a clean state is, I'm betting I'm doing something wrong?
Any way you could elaborate a bit? Or is there a place I can educate myself? I've searched, but not really found anything yet...

Really, really appreciate the help! I've run out of ideas on my side.

Thanks!
Skip

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But, since I'm not sure what a clean state is, I'm betting I'm doing something wrong?
No, I don't believe you are doing anything wrong.
Sometimes when a device has been running for a very long time, small, non-fatal problems can occur and build up.
A reboot will get a device back into a 'clean state' where it should operate as designed and configured.

As a for example - if I'm going to attempt a firmware update on my QNAP NAS boxes, the operating system requires / recommends that a reboot be done before the firmware update.

skipdup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just for fun, I tried upgrading the firmware from the config (mac) tool. It fails also. I did get a warning that login failed.
So, I'm wondering if my user account might be keeping me from upgrading/factory resetting?
I thought about trying to login with the 888888, but the only option I have is on the dropdown is "admin".
Do either of these pics offer any clues?

IMG_0161.jpeg IMG_0162.jpeg

skipdup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any way to force a factory reset from the motherboard?

Thanks!!