Can't view main stream on Live View

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a little help/assistance with my setup. I have 6 DS-2CD2332 cams with a ds-7608ni-e2 nvr. I'm having issues viewing the main stream in live view on my home computer. Everything including the computer is hardwired to the network. Four of the six cams seems to be ok 60% of the time with Main stream but two of them always have issues and 90% of the time have a blank screen for main stream. If I switch those cams to sub stream (which I though I had completely turned off), I get to see the live view.
All cams are on 5.3.0 build 150814. NVR is on 3.3.6 build 151229.
Is this a frame rate or resolution issue? I've adjusted those numerous times and when I think I have it working well, I start getting issues again. Are there optimal settings I should use? I'd like to record at a high quality and also view from outside the network at a good to high quality as well.
All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

While I have a thread open, I can't seem to play back any recorded video. I t just says Playback Failed. I'm sure there are simple fixes for these issue that I just can't find or figure out. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would just try to put all cameras down to 4 frames per second and lowest resolution. Just as a basic check. If that works I guess you will have your answer and then work your way backwards. If there is some bottleneck causing it maybe it is the nvr or your lan? I assume it's all gigabit?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, all gigabit. Cat6 cables also but that shouldn't make much of a difference.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
definitely sounds like bandwidth issue. run a speed test and post your upload speed along with the mainstream camera settings for recommendations.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My internet speed is 151/162 mbps currently.

I've been messing with the cam settings and when I get "cam5" to work, I am now having issues with other cams not sdisplaying video.
Current settings are:
2048*1536
Variable
Higher
20 fps
5700 Kbps
H264

I'm not sure how to come up with the max bitrate. When I set the video quality to "low" on cam5 video has been displaying but that can't be the best quality for this camera.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I get no video on cams 3 and 5 (the usual culprits) with those settings.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh man it's probably the cable. Have you tried taking one indoors and using a shorter cable.

Btw I'd update to v3.4.2 on the NVR. I found v3.3.6 to v3.4.0 to be buggy, and I mean some quite crazy bugs.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
at 20fps you would need to be over 7000. change them to 12 fps and 4360 bitrate and see how they work.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
at 20fps you would need to be over 7000. change them to 12 fps and 4360 bitrate and see how they work.
What? Don't be crazy. "need to be over 7000", no it doesn't. I bet over 50% on here have it lower than 7k at 25/30fps, so it doesn't need to be. Also the only way this will fix the issue is that 12fps will end up using a lot less because of VBR.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not crazy, yeah and they are either having issues or not getting the best quality. At the setting that were posted that's where I put the max bitrate at. mpunt is more than welcome to test that before lowering the fps but I'm pretty confident in my suggestion. you have to take everything into consideration resolution, fps, and video quality. if he lowered the quality to medium he could keep everything else the same and stay around 5200 bitrate. all depends on whats more important fps or quality. keep us posted mpunt!

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't think it is a cable issue. Possibly I'm not understanding, but I have no issues at the monitor attached to the nvr, just on a networked computer. I also seem to be ok using the iphone app, with both LAN connection to cams and outside ddns address.

BTW, where can I get firmware v3.4.0 for the nvr? I've only seen the one I'm currently using as the most recent.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah, I've misunderstood a little then but still worth ruling out.

Install iVMS on your computer. I'm thinking the CPU can't cope is a possibility.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not trying to shoot you down, but I just built this computer a few weeks ago with so higher end equipment. I really hope it's not the cpu.

edit: over 7000 didn;t work and 12fps and 4360 didn't work either on cam5. Right now I have four out of six showing video on this pc. cams 3 and 5 still not showing.

edit2: both cams seem to work ok at 1920x1080, variable, higher, 20fps and 4360. (I take this back. They seem to go out intermittently.)

Last edited by a moderator:

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's odd. You are positive about your upload speed? Did you try switching camera 3 or 5 to a port that currently has a viewable camera to rule out a bad port?

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, positive about upload speed. Pardon the dumb question, but isn't that for outside the network?

I switched a few cables around (left port 7 and 8 empty as it was). I also upgraded to the firmware mentioned above. Seems to be a nicer UI but lost the ability to change the cam resolution via the web interface.
In the new firmware, there is an option to view camera parameters and it shows the bitrates bouncing around. Most of the time they are above the 4360 number mentioned earlier in this thread. I only mention that because I don't know how you guys compute the bitrates to use.