Can't view main stream on Live View

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you able to see all cameras when on substream?

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That doesn't seem to do anything. Currently only able to view four of the six cams right now. Cams 1 and 5 are not viewable in live view. I really don't know what the deal is.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did you try to view all in substream yet ? or you just do not want to try ?

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, they all work in substream without issue. The screens start playing live video within seconds.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So then it is bandwidth or codec problem. Are all cameras running the same codec H.265 or 264 or what do you have?

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All h.264 with no option to change it. I can't see why it would be a bandwidth issue. I have no problems streaming or anything else that I can see.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think it is a cable issue. Possibly I'm not understanding, but I have no issues at the monitor attached to the nvr, just on a networked computer. I also seem to be ok using the iphone app, with both LAN connection to cams and outside ddns address.

BTW, where can I get firmware v3.4.0 for the nvr? I've only seen the one I'm currently using as the most recent.
Do not put v3.4.0 on... v3.4.2 (v3.4.0 was another Hikvision disaster!)

When you say no issues on the monitor, are they all main stream or sub-stream? And are all the seconds ticking, sometimes the image will freeze.

It sounds more and more like cable issue. It doesn't take much time to take one indoors and connect to a shorter made up patch cable to eliminate the issue.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All h.264 with no option to change it. I can't see why it would be a bandwidth issue. I have no problems streaming or anything else that I can see.
Streaming from a website is not the same as streaming from your house. What is your internet connection? If it's ADSL then your download might be 20MBPS but your upload will only be 1MBPS or 2MBPS.

Go to speedtest.net and post screenshot here.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do not put v3.4.0 on... v3.4.2 (v3.4.0 was another Hikvision disaster!)

When you say no issues on the monitor, are they all main stream or sub-stream? And are all the seconds ticking, sometimes the image will freeze.

It sounds more and more like cable issue. It doesn't take much time to take one indoors and connect to a shorter made up patch cable to eliminate the issue.
I upgraded to firmware 3.4.62. Current one I found. All main stream views on the monitor attached to the NVR and all seconds are ticking. NVR attaches to a netgear prosafe switch where everything else in the house is connected to. I'll have to take one of the cams down and see how it looks attached at the NVR.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Streaming from a website is not the same as streaming from your house. What is your internet connection? If it's ADSL then your download might be 20MBPS but your upload will only be 1MBPS or 2MBPS.

Go to speedtest.net and post screenshot here.
I have verizon fios and pay for 150/150. speed.jpg

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By the way, in this firmware I'm using, there's no option to change the resolution. In the drop down it just says "[object Object]" a few times.

Is the sub stream using bandwidth? I thought I had the sub stream shut off completely but guess I don't.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Via the NVR interface I dropped all cams down to 1920x1080 (which I do not like the view on). Came back to PC and all but cam5 populated quickly on live view. I dropped cam 5 to "medium" and it populates on live view. All cams are on "higher" and 20 fps but cam 5 on medium. I'm going to pull cam 5 now and bring in the garage and see if I can get highest quality attached at the NVR. But cam 5 isn't even the longest run in the house which doesn't make sense to me.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Brought cam in garage and cam 5 is working but no live view on cams 1,2 and 6. Changed quality to medium (still at 20 fps) on all cams and they all populate. Cam 5 at 1080p and all others on the setting above that.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just an update. The cams have been working for two days now with these settings: 15 fps, 7000 max bitrate, Variable and medium quality. Cams 1, 3 and 4 are at 2048x1536 and cams 2, 5 and 6 are at 1920x1080. I'm dreading what I'd have to reduce the quality to when I add another cam. Thanks

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what is the connection you use where you are actually viewing the stream on ?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mpunt that's not right, I have running 6 cameras, all higher than that and no problems.

Can you post all firmware versions of camera and NVR?

Last edited by a moderator:

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's a wired connection from my pc to a central switch.

NVR firmware is 3.4.62 build 160503. Cams are all on 5.3.0 build 150814.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And the switch is what model?

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk