Capture plates between these two poles?

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I currently have a Hikvision camera setup, but want to play with LPR.

It appears Dahau is the best choice for implementing a LPR solution.

I am currently considering adding Dahua HFW5241E-Z12E to my setup.

I currently have a PTZ camera up in the location where I am considering adding the new camera.

Took a photo, at 12mm from the install location (attached)

I think I should be able to install the new camera a aim it between the two poles, with the
sweet spot being maybe around 235 ft away from the camera.

At full zoom I would have a 4° viewing angle, which I plotted on the aerial view.

Anyone see any issues I should be concerned about or will this configuration work?

View attachment 51088
OP I think this is doable.
Good luck!
I have the same camera and the distance isn't the issue. It's the angles, and IR light for night.
I push my zoom wide open at 1.0 but you can do .89 as well.
As settings go there is plenty of info here. I have found you need to control shutter speed both in day and night modes. Those vehicle are moving how fast?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The vehicles are moving maybe 25 - 35 mph.

I have the camera set at 1/1500 for daytime right now and it is fine.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, nothing changes all that much. They limit storage, and they limit the number of "hits".
Right now you re getting unlimited "hits". Every time data is sent to the API that's a "hit". If you let agent do the work of sending to API you are getting charged for 2-6 "hits". Some of those "hits" are junk.
Doesn't matter much now, but figure 1-2 cents a hit over a month.
I did post the PHP code to do this in this forum, if you are interested.

My solution was to stored all the plate data I could during the free two week onto a MySQL DB. Now I use the free version first to find the best image I want to send. If I don't have the plate on record, I send it to the commercial version. The free version is not as accurate and doesn't include vehicle data.
I do this to keep below the 1000 hit limit.

Ah... see this is the details that is not clear. Limited to 1000 hits, less accurate and no vehicle data. Good info.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ah... see this is the details that is not clear. Limited to 1000 hits, less accurate and no vehicle data. Good info.
Correction, the free OPEN version software has no vehicle info.

There are two versions of OpenALPR. The commercial version, and the free version on GitHub.
The expired commercial version is limit to 1000 hits, which goes fast.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea, I am just doing this for fun so paying for 500+ cars a day is silly to use the commercial version.

Might have to investigate the real open source edition, perhaps couple it with TensorFlow for additional info.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea, I am just doing this for fun so paying for 500+ cars a day is silly to use the commercial version.

Might have to investigate the real open source edition, perhaps couple it with TensorFlow for additional info.
You know Python? Maybe we could trade some code.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The current trial I am using, there are options for multiple data destinations.

Am I correct in assuming that the options:

'Other HTTP Web Server' and 'Local Queue' will both be disabled at the end of the 14 day trial?

I don't know Python, but have been programming for a while and can often figure things out.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The current trial I am using, there are options for multiple data destinations.

Am I correct in assuming that the options:

'Other HTTP Web Server' and 'Local Queue' will both be disabled at the end of the 14 day trial?

I don't know Python, but have been programming for a while and can often figure things out.
I thought the something. Everything still works, just a 1000 car limit, and limited storage.
Do you know PHP? Maybe you could start storing the collected data?
How would you work with TensorFlow ?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I know PHP and databases & web develpment well. Just waiting to see what is available after the trial ends.... so see what my next course of action is.

TensorFlow can be used to analyze video, could be trained to identify cars I think. That is a nice to have but it is really the plates I am after. We get shooting and drive by shootings in the area so keeping track of the plates will probably be useful a couple times a year.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I know PHP and databases & web develpment well. Just waiting to see what is available after the trial ends.... so see what my next course of action is.

TensorFlow can be used to analyze video, could be trained to identify cars I think. That is a nice to have but it is really the plates I am after. We get shooting and drive by shootings in the area so keeping track of the plates will probably be useful a couple times a year.
Ah.. ok
The PHP I post will get you talking to thw web API directly.
But what language are you going to use it to ID cars?
The reason I ask is I want to ID vehicles as the pates don't always detect for various reasons. I would like to car count, and let the software know a plate should been detected.

Your problem is to have recorded the actual criminal.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea, the IR light I bought was nearly 3x as much as that Black Oak. The light is POE so I did not have to hire an electrician to come and install power. I would cost several hundred just to have an electrician install the power, which is why I went for the POE light.
Hey Robert, do you have a link to the POE IR light you bought? I've been looking for POE IR options. Thanks.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, nothing changes all that much. They limit storage, and they limit the number of "hits".
Right now you re getting unlimited "hits". Every time data is sent to the API that's a "hit". If you let agent do the work of sending to API you are getting charged for 2-6 "hits". Some of those "hits" are junk.
Doesn't matter much now, but figure 1-2 cents a hit over a month.
I did post the PHP code to do this in this forum, if you are interested.

My solution was to stored all the plate data I could during the free two week onto a MySQL DB. Now I use the free version first to find the best image I want to send. If I don't have the plate on record, I send it to the commercial version. The free version is not as accurate and doesn't include vehicle data.
I do this to keep below the 1000 hit limit.
I was wondering about this because rain (lots in the PNW) used up over 1,000 "hits" to their API during my trial and I wasn't sure how to minimize this.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mech I like the look of that for potential LPR, but it says the IR one is available in FLOOD or SPOT, is it the same unit with an adjustment or do you have to order the exact version you need? thx.
I think you have to order the version you want. I emailed their sales@ email address and requested 4 x spot optics, and they set mine up that way. I'm not sure what the stock setup would be if you did not specify.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey Robert, do you have a link to the POE IR light you bought? I've been looking for POE IR options. Thanks.
I purchased this IR light: AXTON MegaPixel AT-11E-S 270'-Range PoE Infrared Illuminator with Day/Night Sensor (850nm, 30°)

It is obscenely expensive, yes, it sure is.

I will not be installing it until April as that is the next time I visit the site, but I have used this brand of light previously. I did not want some cheap China light that breaks in a few months, these lights are built to last and come with a lifetime warranty.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was wondering about this because rain (lots in the PNW) used up over 1,000 "hits" to their API during my trial and I wasn't sure how to minimize this.
I don't use the API and I don't consume any of the 1000 hits. I am using their Watchman free edition.

OH SNAP! I just went to their site and it looks like they have started a home user plan for $5.00 per month. I bet they will be killing the free service I am using right now if they are launching a home edition.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't use the API and I don't consume any of the 1000 hits. I am using their Watchman free edition.

OH SNAP! I just went to their site and it looks like they have started a home user plan for $5.00 per month. I bet they will be killing the free service I am using right now if they are launching a home edition.
Very interesting! Thanks for mentioning this.