Capturing a NON-Capture.....

Reaction score
What the hell is going on with this video blackout of several hours???

1664032625475.png

So did my POE switch suddenly crap out, then rise from the dead?? Almost 10 years of running BI, and I have never seen anything like this...

POE switch is a 24 port HP Procurve 10/100 with 12 POE...
3:00 pm:
1664033669317.png

3:30pm:
1664033744594.png

4:00
1664033800700.png

4:30
1664033865521.png

5:00
1664033921631.png1664034141558.png

6:00
1664034141215.png

At 6:04 everything was back... note how dim the cams are in different shots above-- the 2nd one in is my ptz that draws about 13 watts....

1664034283964.png

Would low POE voltage produce lower image brightness???

Last edited:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What the hell is going on with this video blackout of several hours???

View attachment 140836

So did my POE switch suddenly crap out, then rise from the dead?? Almost 10 years of running BI, and I have never seen anything like this...

POE switch is a 24 port HP Procurve 10/100 with 12 POE...
3:00 pm:
View attachment 140837

3:30pm:
View attachment 140838

4:00
View attachment 140839

4:30
View attachment 140840

5:00
View attachment 140841View attachment 140843

6:00
View attachment 140842

At 6:04 everything was back... note how dim the cams are in different shots above-- the 2nd one in is my ptz that draws about 13 watts....

View attachment 140844

Would low POE voltage produce lower image brightness???
yes it does. So does deteriorated rj45 connectors. I would change the connectors first on the offending camera (reminder: be sure the camera is unplugged from the switch when changing the camera connector so you don't short the POE switch)

Reaction score
yes it does. So does deteriorated rj45 connectors. I would change the connectors first on the offending camera (reminder: be sure the camera is unplugged from the switch when changing the camera connector so you don't short the POE switch)
Connector corrosion could account for losing one cam-- or maybe two in a similarly exposed location during a weather event--- but not all of them simultaneously, with different cams coming back intermittently over the next 5 hours or so... The only thing in common with all of them is my POE switch.

Weirdly-- I ordered another switch off ebay last week so I could go to gigabit everywhere. It comes in next week....

EDIT--- OR-- my BI Machine didn't like something perhaps?? I may need to open that up and blow the dust out. I don't think the BI software would act like that if the processor went into safety mode though. For that matter-- why would it just magically come back and work fine since about 6 PM yesterday? Gotta be a switch issue....

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you recording the cameras that say no video or are dimmed on motion only? If so this is completely normal when those cameras did not pickup motion during the timeframe.

Reaction score
Are you recording the cameras that say no video or are dimmed on motion only? If so this is completely normal when those cameras did not pickup motion during the timeframe.All
All cams are recording 24/7

when they all came back fully--- BI process had restarted per event log...

1664040911491.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It almost looks like a schedule profile or something changed it or it is only recording on motion. Usually it is a No signal when POE or something else is out and will usually say couldn't find the feed or something.

Reaction score
It almost looks like a schedule profile or something changed it or it is only recording on motion. Usually it is a No signal when POE or something else is out and will usually say couldn't find the feed or something.
Is there anything weird with the First day of FALL?? Wouldn't that have to be done per camera? I have not edited ALL cams for a very long time now since setting up substreams....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not that I am aware of - did BI or windows update that may have cause something? Could there be some weird thing with DST if they were not done correctly (I don't think so, but just brainstorming now).

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Connector corrosion could account for losing one cam-- or maybe two in a similarly exposed location during a weather event--- but not all of them simultaneously, with different cams coming back intermittently over the next 5 hours or so... The only thing in common with all of them is my POE switch.
for the age of it the major suspect would be the power supply for the poe. If its one with a separate brick power supply I would change that or get a new switch. But If you got something shorting out at one camera connector, it can crow bar a group of them down on a switch. That is why looking at the camera side connectors to see if the blue pair are burning the connector, which is the sign of a deteriorated connector. Changing the switch might fix the problem, but if it comes back a few weeks from now, then you might have to address the connectors if you didn't.

Reaction score
for the age of it the major suspect would be the power supply for the poe. If its one with a separate brick power supply I would change that or get a new switch. But If you got something shorting out at one camera connector, it can crow bar a group of them down on a switch. That is why looking at the camera side connectors to see if the blue pair are burning the connector, which is the sign of a deteriorated connector. Changing the switch might fix the problem, but if it comes back a few weeks from now, then you might have to address the connectors if you didn't.
Pretty sure I found the cluprit here. I had an old 3mp dome cam from about 2014 that was hooked up. I didn't have it on BI-- but was testing with it occasionally. It stopped responding some time ago, but I had recently used that line outside for a quick test with my new z12. The line is fine-- that old cam is not. I had re-connected it, and used the weather-proof rj-45 fittings. It is connected to port 9 here, which shows that it now has a connection recognized by the switch, but it no longer draws POE power.

1664124439423.png

My guess is that one old camera is the smoking gun in this equation. It just might have an issue with the connection I made when I used the line to try the other cam, or the POE in it finally died a brutal death. I will need to bring it in and inspect it. That switch is supposed to isolate a fault and disable POE on that port until the fault is cleared. I guess if it generated a reboot, then it wouldn't see POE trying to connect from the dead POE circuitry in the old cam. <sigh>

EDIT--- and YES-- that cam is off the network now, disconnected at the switch. :thumb: :cool:

Last edited: