Car brakes hard for deer

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't anything special, just a car braking hard for a deer crossing in front of my place at daybreak.
This is a 720p Ubiquiti Aircam pointed out my garage window, looking at my flag, with no IR.
The flag is illuminated all night (of course) by 2 LED floods so the cam picks up motion by vehicle headlights.
I estimate between 30 and 40 deer cross here daily, going from one wooded area to another with a bluff and running water. It's constant, all day and all night. There's no hunting nearby and some recent logging a mile away has really caused their activity here to increase. They feel safe and word gets around, I guess.
If you look VERY keenly and quickly at the first second of the video you see a deer crossing before the one crosses that the driver sees and actually brakes for. There was likely 8 or 10 there before the motion detection actually started the recording.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats like my Bro-in-laws place up in northern PA. Damn things are everywhere and you better be watching real close at night. Mrs bigredfish wasnt so lucky last year on a quick trip up there. Whacked a 8 point at about 50mph and messed up the rental car pretty good.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats like my Bro-in-laws place up in northern PA. Damn things are everywhere and you better be watching real close at night. Mrs bigredfish wasnt so lucky last year on a quick trip up there. Whacked a 8 point at about 50mph and messed up the rental car pretty good.
I heard that. My wife hit one on her way to work about 6 am in '07, did $4400 worth of damage to an 8 month old Hyundai Elantra. I've narrowly missed so many the last 10 years I know it's just a matter of time before my luck (and the deer's) runs out.