Car Camera Reviews - Mini 0803 & G1W

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was looking for some car camera reviews and came across this guys YouTube channel.

[video=youtubepl;PLFB79814F24001328]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB79814F24001328[/video]

A comprehensive list of camera's (40+) that he has tried and reviewed.

The two I'm looking at are the Mini 0803 and G1W. Both look ok. Has anyone tried either of these two models?

Mini 0803 Review
<a href="http://youtu.be/8LWOq62cY6U?list=PLFB79814F24001328" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

G1W Review

Last edited by a moderator:

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would get the Mini 0801, very stable camera. The problem with the 0803 is they overheat, maybe not in Buffalo, NY this week, but in warmer climates or summer time. Same with the 0805 that replaced the 0803. The rumor is they fixed it in the next iteration but has not been released yet. But if you need one now, the 0801 is the one to get. Don't know the G1W but looks big. One that has been popular is this one - http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87&products_id=299

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's all speculation as they never used an even number, so the odds of a 806 seem slim but there will always be a new model, just hope they figure out their overheating issue before releasing it.

Reaction score
I have the G1W-C, which is a capacitor version of the G1W. Why a capacitor? It replaces the battery that fails in the high-heat environment of a car in summer. The capacitor allows just enough electricity to be supplied so the cam will finish writing the video file when the power goes out. It shuts down within 1.5 ~2 seconds after power is removed. One issue I had was the power cord failed-- I replaced with a usb charger and 15 foot mini-usb cable, has worked great since. I just bought another off Amazon, the G1W-CB with a black front bezel (much less noticeable in the car).

Some sample footage:

Rainy/Night footage:

Daytime footage:

Daytime: Car cuts off other drivers... repeatedly! (with most of my cussing edited...)

Reaction score
I would get the Mini 0801, very stable camera. The problem with the 0803 is they overheat, maybe not in Buffalo, NY this week, but in warmer climates or summer time. Same with the 0805 that replaced the 0803. The rumor is they fixed it in the next iteration but has not been released yet. But if you need one now, the 0801 is the one to get. Don't know the G1W but looks big. One that has been popular is this one - http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87&products_id=299
Hey NCC-- that wrightwood cam looks to be the same as a G1W in a slightly different housing. Identical menus/specs...

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Love the commentary in the last video! btw, do you have a dog and duck in the car with you?

Reaction score
Love the commentary in the last video! btw, do you have a dog and duck in the car with you?
LOL.... the F-Bombs were flying! That idiot could have easily caused a multi-car collision for no better reason than he was an impatient ass. I've been watching too many Russian dash-cam crash videos on youtube--- I could totally see it happening! :nightmare:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, that doesnt explain the duck sounds and dog barking though...

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
This is examples of the wrightwood camera I've had on board for a year. Recently I checked some footage just to make sure all is well. Youtube has a way of killing resolution these days- tough to judge video quality now. The raw footage looks great to me but sucks on youtube. Anyway-

This one is kinda in Vec's neck of the woods- hello Queens and the Terrace on the Park!

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This one is kinda in Vec's neck of the woods- hello Queens and the Terrace on the Park!

That looks pretty decent. Probably going to pick up the G1W version of this since they do seem identical. BTW - I live literally across the street from Terrace on the Park. Good to see some NY people concerned about security!

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My G1W-C cams arrived, but with temps in single digits not anxious to sit in the car to get them set up yet, so I plugged one into a PC USB port. The cam started up and I got a screen menu that I can toggle between USP and PC entries but nothing else. The menu button does nothing. I am guessing that the 5V from the PC USB port may be seen/used differently from the 12V from the car power port, so will have to wait and see when I get it into the car.