car crashes into light pole (not my video)

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On my browser at least, that link shows a web page with a playable video visible. The car rides up onto the sidewalk and makes a direct hit on the utility pole, while nicely centered in the camera frame. The pole breaks off and falls down onto the car. Not shown in the video, but apparently the driver got out and just walked off.
SJ-Crash.jpg

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Speeding, racing, and not being able to keep their cars under control are serious issues. But I'm really confused by the statement that "kids can't even play in the street anymore". Is that an entitlement that I just never had when my brother and I grew up on a quiet street? We were NEVER allowed to play on the street. Even sidewalks were grey areas. If you wanted to play, there was a park down the street, or fields in vacant lots, or front/back yards of houses. The saying, "Go play in the street" is something you'd say to someone as an insult to their intelligence... Yet these people seem to think there's nothing wrong with expecting their kids to be safe in the street?

I have the same mentality among neighbors in FL. They put up orange cones in the street, and big plastic turtles with "Slow! Kids Playing" signs. Big back yards, a community playground and open field, and yet all drivers have to stop and wait for kids to clear the street. I don't know when things changed, but apparently I missed the memo. I would never allow my kids in the street for anything other than to cross the road - while holding my hand.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speeding, racing, and not being able to keep their cars under control are serious issues. But I'm really confused by the statement that "kids can't even play in the street anymore". Is that an entitlement that I just never had when my brother and I grew up on a quiet street? We were NEVER allowed to play on the street. Even sidewalks were grey areas. If you wanted to play, there was a park down the street, or fields in vacant lots, or front/back yards of houses. The saying, "Go play in the street" is something you'd say to someone as an insult to their intelligence... Yet these people seem to think there's nothing wrong with expecting their kids to be safe in the street?

I have the same mentality among neighbors in FL. They put up orange cones in the street, and big plastic turtles with "Slow! Kids Playing" signs. Big back yards, a community playground and open field, and yet all drivers have to stop and wait for kids to clear the street. I don't know when things changed, but apparently I missed the memo. I would never allow my kids in the street for anything other than to cross the road - while holding my hand.
I agree the notion or expectation that it's safe for kids to play in the street is something that bothers me. I'm also bothered by the entitled parents/kids who decide to put out cones and block a larger neighborhood street. Thankfully I mostly see kids playing in cul-de-sacs.

That said it depends on the activity a bit, some things aren't really a problem depending on the age of the kids and size of the street. Some areas also lack sidewalks.
riding a bike parallel to the direction of the street
riding a skateboard along a street or sidewalk
roller blading along a street
driving a hot wheels type car in the sidewalk or gutter with parental supervision

Then there are things that are more irritating like:
setting up a skateboard ramp or rails that block the street
street hockey games
kids playing "parked car golf" (competition to see who can bounce a golf ball off the parked cars the farthest or the closest to some other objective)

Someone I went to high school with decided to ride on a sled in the street pulled by a truck and got run over. Even when kids should be old enough not to do stupid things in the street there's always an aspiring darwin award candidate.