Car licence plates with non ANPR camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@thisbeJonas - you set the camera profile to full time day and then the utility will take care of it. Do not use time schedule in the camera.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
awesome lots to learn about. Thanks for all the responses
You will find you have to run very fast shutters at night. So fast that the scene is nearly 100% dark until a car comes through and IR lights up the plate. I’m running 1/2000 at night. Plates really standout.

That is why an additional overview camera is important since you can’t tell much about the car from the LPR Cam.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I setup my nvr and camera over a year ago and optimised for smart events to trigger recording and not have too many false triggers for day time. I still get some triggering in summer when the shine sparkles on the exposed aggregate concentrate. I'm going to adjust a bit for night now, and seeing how much free space my 4tb hdd has with the current settings. I'll keep looking for a high mm lens too but being in Australia and with covid stock is limited.

Reaction score
I have the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 and can easily capture plates at 200ft
Are you sure that is a Z5 and not a Z12?

The reason I ask is that I have an HFW5241E-Z12E (5-60mm) and the pic below is at 43mm and is 90 feet out.

LPR-E.20200317_184515_1b.jpg

And the one below is from a B5442E-Z4E (8-32mm) at full zoom of 32mm and the plate is about 75 feet out, from a different location than the 5241.
INTS.20200719_200044974_1.jpg

Last edited:

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I couldnt find any z12 available for purchase in Australia, I might have to keep looking to find where I can get one from.

Last edited:

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recall when i did the initial research for my setup, i was told to make sure i get english cameras with firmware, and not chinese ones.
Will this be compatible with my hikvision nvr DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P (camera seems to have onvif), how will it trigger recording? It wont have use of the smart events will it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These are the English versions that are upgradable.

It should work with your hik NVR. You may lose some functionality that would be available on a hik cam with hik nvr combo (like AI), but for simply pulling the stream and recording motion, it should be fine. Maybe someone that has the hik NVR will chime in.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
awesome thanks guys. I sent a message to EmpireteCandy.
Looks like if it has english firmware, it should hopefully be able to be used to record motion fully zoomed.

Regarding firmware, my NVR seems to be using current firmware( V4.1.60 build 180717), but i cant see any way to check my cameras firmware through my nvr. I've read mixed responses on whether to upgrade firmware or just leave if all working well. I think as long as things are working i may just leave as is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, unless you have a problem with the camera that an update will fix, leave them alone! Too many incidents where someone had a perfectly working camera and updated it and something didn't work right.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all. Bought the HFW5241E-Z12E through EmpireteCandy.
Once it arrives and I install, ill let you know how it goes.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any recommendations to which camera location / focus location would be best suited based on distance 32m - 49m with viewing angles 45 - 65 degrees.
Need to take into account a japense maple i planted in the middle (9m canopy / 12m height at maturity)

Attachments

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E Camera arrived and installed. Tested on PC and was good.
Installed in location but can't adjust zoom/focus as onvif camera through the hikvision nvr. I'll have to connect direct via laptop to fine tune settings as per recommendations.

Last edited: