Car Repair Made Easy

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We don't even get that. The most we get is a rare jogger and, during warmer weather, packs of bicyclists following the old route of the trail that went from the Delaware river to the Shore. So far, in 12 years here, we've seen one mail theft, one splitter theft and a couple of cars/trucks break down and get towed. Very boring, but nice in many respects.

Last edited:

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We don't even get that. The most we get is a rare jogger and, during warmer weather, packs of bicyclists following the old route of the trail that went from the Delaware river to the Shore. So far, in 12 years here, we've seen on mail theft, one splitter theft and a couple of cars/trucks break down and get towed. Very boring, but nice in many respects.
Good for you, I think most of us only like to watch other people's interesting and exciting videos online but rather have very boring videos at their own door steps. Less aggravation is good for health. :winktongue:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
We don't even get that. The most we get is a rare jogger and, during warmer weather, packs of bicyclists following the old route of the trail that went from the Delaware river to the Shore. So far, in 12 years here, we've seen on mail theft, one splitter theft and a couple of cars/trucks break down and get towed. Very boring, but nice in many respects.
My area seems to run in spurts. Nothing for a while then I get 2 or 3 incidences. I have not had anything for a while now so something is about to break. ;)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Back in 1978 I was on a geologic field trip in Idaho. I was a grad student at the time in my early 20's but everyone else in the truck were teenage undergrads. I was the primary driver for this truck, but this morning I was in the passenger seat letting my relief driver get some wheel time. We had three others in the back of this International Harvester utility vehicle. This was an old truck used by the university as a plow and push truck, complete with an amber light on the roof and a big, wooden bumper painted yellow. It was a heavy-duty, four-wheel drive, standard transmission truck. It had lots of body rot due to the severe winters and road salt in Wisconsin at the university. Halfway through the trip, the hood had a problem closing due to all of the rot, and the trip's mechanic had put a couple of screw eyes in the front of the hood and rope to keep in tied down.

We were headed to Sun Valley for a day off, doing about 60MPH coming down a mountain road with a drop off of about 600 feet on the passenger side. As we were approaching a curve, the hood flew open and laid against the windshield. The three in the back seat started screaming. Mark, the driver, panicked and immediately put the clutch in and tried hitting the brakes, but we were now freewheeling, going down a steep grade at 60mph. The truck was not slowing down and the curve was coming up. I got Mark to let the clutch out allowing the truck to slow. I stuck my head out the window to get a good view of the road and got Mark to downshift, apply brakes, and slowly move to the right, pull off the road, and stop. Another 100 feet down the road and we would have gone over.

The screw eyes had sheared off and the latch was gone. The hinges had been totally ripped from the inner fenders. I can't believe that the hood did not fly off. We were the last truck in line and no one in front of us saw it happen. We got on the CB but the group was too far ahead of us to hear us. Finally, someone realized we were no longer behind and sent a truck to see what was up. We strapped the hood down as best we could and limped into town. We found a welding shop and he welded the hinges back in place. This time we cut slots in the front of the hood and placed straps through it and connected them to the wooden bumper. This made fuel stops difficult as we always had to add oil.

I can't find any pics of the truck with the hood pulled off, but here are a few before the incident. BTW, the university was pissed when we brought back the trucks.

Craters of the Moon campsite near Arco Idaho crop.jpg
Badlands SD crop2.jpg
Mackay Idaho crop3.jpg

Last edited: