Carrier-Grade NAT problem: How to access my IP cameras? VPN?

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
I Found the stream, sorry to have asked a dumb question.

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, it's a steep learning curve to find all the options to all things. That said I'm now at least convinced to keep the Annke and send the Reolink back.

majones

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve had a further look at VLAN solutions for CGNAT as I may shift my main system to mobile at some point, and I’ll have to live with CGNAT.

My requirements are that: the VLAN client on the BI Windows machine runs as a service that starts with Windows (as BI itself does); connecting a client to the VLAN server doesn’t require any port forwarding; I can include other Windows, Linux and Android devices as VLAN clients; the VLAN is secure; and its free. I think that covers everything, but rules out my exiting options of ngrok, Hamachi and Neorouter.

Fortunately there is a solution, ZeroTier, that I’ve got up and running and seems to be working brilliantly. For me it has the additional functionality of being able to include Home Assistant servers and my Teltonika mobile routers as clients, so it super useful.

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll try that later, currently pulling cables for the new cameras just now. I wonder if that may help with my VOIP which I have to route to ring my mobile. I kept my old land line number as a voip number until I know friends and family have got used to not calling it anymore.

As an FYI, how did you set up your Teltonika? I have mine on a separate subnet and in Bridge mode connected to a Unifi setup. That lets me login into it if I have any issues or want to change something.

Which Teltonika do you run? I was using an RUTx11 but I had a fault on it. I have bought a RUT 240 as a replacement, I aim to sell it on eBay when I get my x11 back, the only difference is the slow interface on the 240 and my download speed dropped by about 20mbs.

I'm using the same Poynting Antenna.

majones

n3wb
Reaction score
I have both the RUT240 and and RUT950. I ordinarily run them as failover devices for Gigaset security monitoring equipment and they're setup as routers with their primary WAN being "wired" to a landline router. But I now need to temporarily monitor cameras at property without a landline, so I'm using the RUT950 as the primary router over mobile. As there is a Windows machine behind the RUT950 I can monitor it using Teamviewer or VNC Viewer, but the RUT240 has a Raspberry Pi behind it specifically to access the Teltonika. So I can remove that RPi now that ZeroTier is running on the RUT240.

Installation of ZeroTier is a doddle as it's listed under the package manager menu, and you just need to specify it as a client.

mcorzine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@majones I have just discovered ngrok and because of it found this thread when searching if anyone else had discovered it. One feature I really like about it is the ability to share a webpage from another device besides the localhost. For example - I have a automation device that has a built in webpage - I can point ngrok at that device's port 80. Does Neorouter or ZeroTier have this ability?

majones

n3wb
Reaction score
@majones I have just discovered ngrok and because of it found this thread when searching if anyone else had discovered it. One feature I really like about it is the ability to share a webpage from another device besides the localhost. For example - I have a automation device that has a built in webpage - I can point ngrok at that device's port 80. Does Neorouter or ZeroTier have this ability?
Yes. Each of Neorouter, Hamachi and ZeroTier allow you to access port 80 (or any other port) on your BI machine. ngrok requires you to specify https://, whereas the others provide secure access using http:// as they protect the network not just the connection. And ngrok requires you to pre-assign the port, whereas the others allow you to specify the port in the URL. None of them require you to have a public IP address, which is the problem for people with CGNAT (ie mobile broadband).

Home Assistant has a Zero Tier community add-on, which is handy for managing automations.

majones

n3wb
Reaction score
Installation of ZeroTier is a doddle as it's listed under the package manager menu, and you just need to specify it as a client.
Just a quick update - the version of Zero Tier that Teltonika includes with its package manager on the RUT devices is quite old (v.1.1.4 vs 1.6.3 latest) and I've noticed it sometimes going offline. This affects only the Teltonika management page, not the devices with ZT addresses routed through the Teltonika. The simple solution is Services > Auto Reboot > Ping Reboot specifying an always-on device on your ZT VLAN.

The RUTX routers seem to have a more up to date version of ZT, and appear not to suffer from the problem. Teltonika say they will update the RUT firmware to match.

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I set up zerotier on the pc I'm using rather than on the router. Seems to work fine and reconnects automatically after a reboot, both intentionally and simply pulling the plug out. Not the best option but I wanted to try an automatic reboot after a power failure.

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
I meant to ask, majones, you use three in the UK don't you? I'm on Vodafone but since mid January I have all sorts of connection issues. Initially I was told by Vodafone their network was fine so I thought it was my Rutx11 at fault, changed that to the 240 and the same problems of loosing connection and not reconnecting, new sim card and the same issue.
Yesterday I was talking to their tech team and went through all sorts of tests but basically their sim card isn't updating regardless of what device the sim is in.
Apparently its escalated and I'm waiting on their team to get back to me.
I wonder if its an issue they know about as I was offered the chance to cancel mid contract with no penalty?
Have you come across anything similar?