Cat 5 or 6, sure. Cat 7? What's wrong with you??

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Haha...

Yeah, so guilty as charged. I started wiring everything with Cat7 and didn't even think to stop when I started with the cameras. There I am up on a ladder, my wife holding the camera ("for just a second...") for what became a f**king eternity because the robustness of the Cat7 was never going to be crammed through the waterproofing connector. In the end I had sliced off the square edges off the end of the cable, and even had to resort to slicing the connector down the centre on one side so it would flex open enough to get the Cat7 through, and then taped it all up. Live and learn, right?

So anyone else out there even thinking about outdoor Cat7 cable for your IP cameras, WTF man .. d'ju cwazy??

*Reference: Color4K-X camera

Reaction score
I have 40+ Cat6e ran through out my house. Why? Substantial discount! (aka...free!).
Have worked with Cat7. Ewww. Feels just like as if 110VAC Romex wire were twisted to make it look like Cat6.
I do not think we will ever see a need for anything above Cat6 or Cat6e in residential settings. By that point, might as just as well run fiber for that 3d holographic video phone call to grandma.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Found out the hard way when all of the so called standard conduit wasn't large enough to take the CAT6A trunk cables. :facepalm: Super old photo of the first Big Pull to one of four 42U server racks in my home to make sure there was enough service loop before cutting off the end:

I had to 3D print a wider ethernet comb for the CAT-7 / CAT-8 because the standard combs were not large enough:

At some point things got so crazy stupid as the trunk cable was so huge I had to print off Big Bertha. :lmao:

It's probably going to take me another two years to finish everything in the four networks. As I expanded the fiber to more areas in the home not covered before. :(

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Cable combs? What? I had to stand in a closet and sort that shit until my hands were raw... LOL (2007)
We don't need no Stinkink Cable Combs. I don't have to SHOW YOu NO CabLE COMBS!

Actually they are very cool Teken....im just a we bit envious. LOL
I coulda saved my hands!

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
My rats nest in the Condo comes by way of prexisting infrastructure and pre existing rj-59 runs.
Maybe in the dead of January i can get a couple spools of Velcro and try making it a bit neater.
Yup, lots of Velcro used on every 4 feet of cable down the entire length of the trunk lines. To make it easier to add / remove the cable(s) I used plastic fasteners that are screwed into the joists and zip tied and than connected to Velcro X straps.

Each trunk cable bundle is labeled with a marker tag in six feet intervals. Heat shrink labels are affixed at both ends with a minimum of a alphanumeric code indicating area, zone, use.

Once the lines have been commissioned and finalized a second heat shrink label is affixed to both ends stating what device is attached, IP, VLAN, Network.

This winter the plan is to prep some 6” X 6” square ID plates sprayed with neon orange paint. They will be affixed to key areas to help identify the beginning of the home run, where it splits, and terminates.

A year from now - never mind ten years later I won’t remember what those bundles do, or go to!

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran Cat6 for my cameras, and Cat7 for my TVs (Samsung requires Cat7, at least that is what was in the manual).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Most smart TVs still only have 100 Mbps ethernet ports. Yes, even 2021 models. You can actually get higher speeds over wifi or a USB gigabit ethernet adapter (although many TVs only have USB 2.0, it is still faster than 100 Mbps).

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
You are right, but I did it even for future proofing, since I ran all the wires for the cameras.