Cat 5 or 6, sure. Cat 7? What's wrong with you??

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
for what became a f**king eternity because the robustness of the Cat7 was never going to be crammed through the waterproofing connector
I wrote about it some time ago.
It's a new hose and all cables here are CAT7.
There is really new need for CAT7 cables for the cams but it's gonna last forever.
The connectors, not only they do not fit the waterproofing connector, they are thick. I had to use very good (but very expensive) connectors and to waterproof it differently.
It's a big pain but if you do it right, you know and feel it's gonna last forever.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing last forever surely

I’ve used external grade cat 5e, even for internal runs as the external cable has a bit more protection, hoping that will last forever as well.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found out the hard way when all of the so called standard conduit wasn't large enough to take the CAT6A trunk cables. :facepalm: Super old photo of the first Big Pull to one of four 42U server racks in my home to make sure there was enough service loop before cutting off the end:

I had to 3D print a wider ethernet comb for the CAT-7 / CAT-8 because the standard combs were not large enough:

At some point things got so crazy stupid as the trunk cable was so huge I had to print off Big Bertha. :lmao:

It's probably going to take me another two years to finish everything in the four networks. As I expanded the fiber to more areas in the home not covered before. :(
Could you use these combs when running cables through drywall together? Can you post pic of them installed?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Could you use these combs when running cables through drywall together? Can you post pic of them installed?
I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking?!? Just to clarify the wire comb is a tool used during the installation portion of the wire pull.

It’s used to insure all the cables are neatly separated from one another so any future maintenance and identification is easier on the person. Once each section of (trunk) cable is combed that section is securely bundled with Velcro at whatever distance is appropriate.

Hope that clarifies what the wire comb is used for?!?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 40+ Cat6e ran through out my house. Why? Substantial discount! (aka...free!).
Have worked with Cat7. Ewww. Feels just like as if 110VAC Romex wire were twisted to make it look like Cat6.
I do not think we will ever see a need for anything above Cat6 or Cat6e in residential settings. By that point, might as just as well run fiber for that 3d holographic video phone call to grandma.
Totally agree. I think fiber will become much more common in household settings as the need for speed increases.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking?!? Just to clarify the wire comb is a tool used during the installation portion of the wire pull.

It’s used to insure all the cables are neatly separated from one another so any future maintenance and identification is easier on the person. Once each section of (trunk) cable is combed that section is securely bundled with Velcro at whatever distance is appropriate.

Hope that clarifies what the wire comb is used for?!?
Thanks for the clarification. I saw the lip / flange on one end and thought "hey, that could fit in a pipe". Probably just didn't think it all the way through. I remember trying to find something that would help with cable management through a ceiling or drywall and not finding good answers. My lines come in to my attic right now and then in to my server (ummm, laundry) room through drilled holes in the joists. thinking if I ever got done I could put in fire retardant sealant, but...I'll never be done :)