Cat 6 cable is laid now I need to crimp it and test it...tool advice requested

Reaction score
Hello and good morning,

My relatives have put the CAT 6 wire in the conduit and buried it. Unfortunately they used not so good wire, i.e. they used wire from the local hardware store

Southwire 1000 ft. Blue 23/4 CAT6 Riser CMR Cable-56918949 - The Home Depot

Unfortunately, it is already in the conduit and buried, so hopefully it will last.

There are boxes along the trench where the CAT 6 wire is accessible in order to put clips on it, and connect it to the switch etc.

Now that I have the wiring in place, I need to connect the CAT 6 wires to the cameras, which I need to get. I will begin with the crimping needs.

I know NOTHING about crimping, so I was thinking of getting;

a) Crimping tool - Klein Tools VDV226-107 Compact Ratcheting Modular Crimper - - Amazon.com

b) LAN tester tool - Amazon.com: HDE RJ45 RJ11 RJ12 Cat5 Cat6 UTP Network Cable Tester for LAN Phone Wire Test Tool: Industrial & Scientific -

c) 12 v AC to DC adaptor to plug in the cameras - As the runs are long, I will not be able to use PoE to power the cameras effectively. I do have 120v power at the locations where the cameras will be placed

I am confused as to which connectors, I need to buy. I have read a lot about the platinum EZ connectors etc. but not sure if they are worth the $$

I saw these cheaper, yet seemingly good quality connectors, should I get these?

Amazon.com: TMEZON 12 Volt 2A Power Adapter Supply AC to DC 2.1mm X 5.5mm Plug 12v 2 Amp Power Supply Wall Plug Extra Long 8 Foot Cord: Electronics

I am in a big city so can go to the electric stores if that is better than buying it online

I am hopeful that some of you super stars like @nayr @fenderman and others will guide me

many thanks
TPW

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The wire specs say it's AWG 23 solid copper. I don't see anything there to think it's "not so good". It's just a bit high on the pricing.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Plantium EZ are overpriced for what they provide. Get a regular crimper and RJ45's, take a foot or two of cable and practice. Terminate and then cut off about two inches and do it again. By the fourth or fifth time you'll be fine. It's much simpler once you do it a few times, don't get discouraged.

As far as a tester, anyone will do, no need to spend a ton. For what you're looking for they should all provide you with the feedback you need to determine if they are terminated correctly and everything is good. I have the exact same one you posted and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it's best to use burial rated cable even in conduit if it's under ground. Water vapor will get in the conduit and condense. Nothing wrong with southwire cable, just a bit expensive.

how long are the runs? poe work fine for the full 328' ethernet is rated for, possibly even longer.

Reaction score
@tangent The runs are about 300 ft or maybe 350 ft for one run and then about 200ft for the other run.

I was planning to connect the cameras using a 12v AC to DC adaptor instead of trying to power them via PoE because I believe that is more stable than trying to deal with PoE.

What do you think

Many thanks
TPW

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE will probably work just fine. Since you already have power at the camera locations, you may have been able to get by with point to point wifi or powerline adapters though ethernet will be more reliable.