CAT 6 ISP and POE distribution

dnickel79

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new home that has all cat 6 run back to a storage room where the fiber based internet will enter from the service provider. I have five cat 6 internet feeds that go to boxes throughout the house (mainly behind TV mounts) for internet based TV as well as an office for the google mesh router to plug into. I also have 4 exterior and 3 interior POE feeds. I won’t be utilizing any type of DVR so I’m wondering what the best type of switch/splitter I should buy in order to keep all internet feeds at good speeds and also power the cameras? What 16 channel unit would you recommend that has at least 8 ports for POE?

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd recommend getting a managed switch off ebay. I use a HP Procurve 2620 24 port POE+ switch which has 12 POE and 12 standard network ports. You could probably find one for around $40.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not put all my eggs in one basket. I use multiple smaller 8 port switches spread around the house for connections. Cameras do not provide much of a data load for a modern network.
I use netgear GS408PP. it provides more than enough power for all my POE needs. I also have a UPS on each switch. All my camera system and alarm system are on UPSs

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/poe-switch-suggestion-list.23070/

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a new home that has all cat 6 run back to a storage room where the fiber based internet will enter from the service provider. I have five cat 6 internet feeds that go to boxes throughout the house (mainly behind TV mounts) for internet based TV as well as an office for the google mesh router to plug into. I also have 4 exterior and 3 interior POE feeds. I won’t be utilizing any type of DVR so I’m wondering what the best type of switch/splitter I should buy in order to keep all internet feeds at good speeds and also power the cameras? What 16 channel unit would you recommend that has at least 8 ports for POE?
I have minimal cat 5 cables run in my house - I built it 30 years ago. Three years ago, with total dependence on my sons who work in IT, we went with a Ubiquiti network. We use their firewall feeding a 24 port POE switch that feeds two 8 port POE switches. It's still a minimal system but I enjoy the flexibility and monitoring capabilities of the software.
1575749545946.png

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice setup and nice diagram. And having two sons with IT experience sure is a plus!

Q: You're using daisy chained devices. Are you concerned about the latency that may be introduced?

Eg: Your Xbox (far right, middle) traffic has to go through the:
1) Study Access Point, then
b) Study switch, then,
c) basement switch.
Don't most folks recommend a home run for each wired device, ie: cable from the device back to the main switch which is connected to your cable modem (or fiber modem)

With a fiber-feed to the house, maybe the latency from multiple hops doesn't really have much of an impact to overall throughput?

Thanks,
Fastb

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That whole group of devices has to pass that route. They are all wireless, fed from the study Access Point (a Ubiquiti wifi device). Physically that 8 port switch sits on my study desk, right next to the Access point. The Core 24 port switch in the basement is about 30 feet away. Latency has been a non issue for anything so far. We do have 'gigabit' service from our cable provider (~800mbs down and 35 up).
Although I am a EE I leave all these decisions to the kids :)
By the way. . . I made my first Cat6 cable up the other day and no one was more surprised than I was that it actually worked!