Cat 6 vs 5e? Can the run be next to an electrical line?

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am about to do an install myself and am wondering if I should run Cat 6?

I think my best chase might be alonga electrical line,do you see see any issues with running it next to a electical line?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Electrical lines can cause interference and induce currents in the network cable. The typical result of this is reduced speed or unreliable links. So you want to stay away from the electrical lines whenever possible. But often it works fine for surprising distances, without causing trouble. It can help of course to use higher grade cable, like cat6. Get shielded cable if you can.

Also, if you care, it may be a violation of electric code to have high voltage and low voltage wiring near each other and not separated by a permanent barrier. Honestly it all depends on whether or not your cables ever need to pass an inspection, which they probably do not.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep it away from the electrical line and do not use any of the same penetrations through studs or walls. Try to keep the low voltage and electrical on opposite side or completely different stud cavities. You may end up with an intermittent network issue because your connection will drop when someone turns on a light or an appliance. I just did some rerouting of cables in a network rack and a VGA cable ended up too close to a 120V AC line, causing rolling lines on monitor.

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I might not have a choice, is there something I could cover the lines with to protect them?

I'll definitely see if I can do something to avoid it.

thoughts on Catt5e vs 6?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My preference is to Cat6 because you can find it in 23awg. Either one should be fine. Shielded cable may help if you really have to run it parallel next to electrical lines. Still not a good practice and you may violate codes - based on performance, not so much safety.

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotchya - Maybe I'll hire someone to do it right, I am not so much into running cable if it's super complicated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotchya - Maybe I'll hire someone to do it right, I am not so much into running cable if it's super complicated.
Look for guys who run this type of low voltage cables all day...telephone system installers, alarm installers (the real guys, not adt, slap a wireless system together)..the good ones can pull cable anywhere you want, nice and clean in the walls, no conduit on the exterior etc...get references and ask them exactly how they plan on running the cable. Get good quality solid copper cable - from a reputable source..not junk copper clad aluminum (CCA)...its cheaper but complete junk.

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah, not running cable on the outside of my house. and don't want a crappy job.

Maybe I'll try Angie's list.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go into the counter of an electrical supply house and ask for a couple referrals. They should be able to provide you info on a couple little guys that will do a good job and not charge you like a union mega-contractor.