CAT5e ok for cams?

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to buy 1,000 ft of indoor cable should i buy CAT5e or 6?

CAT6 seems like a waste since IP cams will never need 6?

Suggestions?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Cat5e is all I still use even for new installs. Easier to work with and 10Gbe isn't needed for home installations unless you have a real unique install going on.

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
CAT5e it is then. Is the jacket on cable that is CMR more tear resistance? I know it's a fire rating.

I could see a need for CAT6 with all the cams being 4k maybe?

I have a outside POE switch that all my cams run to that are outdoors then a single cat5e cable runs into the house to my switch, i wonder how many cams it would take to bottle neck that one cat5e cable going into the house.

Someday i would like to fix it. :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a outside POE switch that all my cams run to that are outdoors then a single cat5e cable runs into the house to my switch, i wonder how many cams it would take to bottle neck that one cat5e cable going into the house.
Cat5e when installed correctly can handle link speeds up to 1000Mbps
A 4k camera might have a bitrate delivering around 10Mbps depending on the codec in use and the video quality selected.
That's around 1.5% of what a gigabit link will handle.

What's the spec of the uplink port of your PoE switch?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score

Someday i would like to fix it. :)
If its a 1Gbps switch, it would take a lot of cams. Lets say its an 4MP cam at a CBR of 8192kbps. 1Gbps / 8.2Mbps = ~121 cams to fully saturate the link.

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cat5e when installed correctly can handle link speeds up to 1000Mbps
A 4k camera might have a bitrate delivering around 10Mbps depending on the codec in use and the video quality selected.
That's around 1.5% of what a gigabit link will handle.

What's the spec of the uplink port of your PoE switch?
It's a 1Gbps switch. TPlink