CAT5e or 6 for outdoor run?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm out of CAT5e outdoor cable is there any use to buy CAT6 instead? It cost a little bit more but will it ever matter for IP Cams over a distance since CAT6 can't do it's higher speeds at a distance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind of distance are you talking about? 100 meters is the spec. If you're using ePoE from Dahua it goes out to 800 meters, yes about 2500 feet, but with 10Mb speed and is way out of spec for length.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm out of CAT5e outdoor cable is there any use to buy CAT6 instead? It cost a little bit more but will it ever matter for IP Cams over a distance since CAT6 can't do it's higher speeds at a distance.
If you care about future proofing CAT-6 is the way to go. Along with running 16-2 / 18-2 power wire for any possible high current 12 VDC accessories.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Everyone says that, and yet IP cameras connect at 100Mb/ps and use far less bandwidth than that. If the location may, someday, for some esoteric reason, need a multiport switch instead of a camera, yes CAT6 is a good idea. By the time cameras need more than 100Mb/ps we'll all be pushing up the grass from underneath it.

Last edited:

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By the time cameras need more than 100Mb/ps we'll all be pushing up the grass from underneath it.
LOL yes this would be underground ran and crawl space ran to single IP cams well under the 300 ft max.

All my other runs where CAT5e i worry about mixing the cable since they look identical and direct burial cable is usually black.

If the outer jacket does not say how would you tell them apart since CAT6 uses differant RJ45 conn.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What brand cable are you guys using when buying 1000ft? There are cheap and then super costly. Mine need to be in a pull box the spool is a pain in tight places.

I bought mine off ebay many years ago, still working fine.

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
What brand cable are you guys using when buying 1000ft? There are cheap and then super costly. Mine need to be in a pull box the spool is a pain in tight places.

I bought mine off ebay many years ago, still working fine.
im running 5e over a 150m ish length outdoors. this also powers my IP cam via POE at the remote location. no problems so far and no power spikes/drops and consumption on the pOE switch side of things.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I used Connectix cat5e external grade cable when I did the install for my cams. Really didn’t see the point of using cat6 external at the time and I’ve used this same cable for all runs regardless of indoor or outdoor runs.

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
More times than not, Cat6 will be a heavier gauge than cat5 which will give you better poe performance.
^This is my answer. POE is pretty low voltage to begin with and when you start stretching it out, you could run into a voltage drop issue.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cat6 is backward compatible. I like the fact it's usually 23 gauge vs 24 on cat5e. Not much difference unless you go with stp w/drain wire. For underground I pay a little extra for the flooded. If I go Arial I get 5e or 6 with the messenger & uv protection. If you need it in a box 500 ft at a time may be the way to go on "outdoor" which I think only gives you the advantage of uv protection. If the jacket is hard the connectors are more difficult to install. It's best to consider everything.

The old saying goes don't fuk with the physical layer. Nothing causes more trouble than poorly installed transport medium.

I've recently ran accross cameras that are too noisy, due from cameras designed to use coax with the power leads outside the shield being supported on cat5e with baluns on each end and two pair used for the 12v power. This causes a noise issue more times than not from the 12v power running along with the video signal. (especially on metal blds) I've either had to replace the cable with a siamese coax or power it with another separate cable preferably close to the camera.

The bottom line, use the correct transport medium for the intended signal.