CAT5e Riser or Plenum ?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be installing 8 IP cameras throughout the exterior of my house in the next few weeks. I am interested in purchasing bulk cable from Monoprice. Should I be purchasing CATE5e Riser or Plenum cable? I'm thinking Plenum because it can be ran between floors (I have a split ranch style home). Also, any specific gauge? They sell 22 or 24AWG available for UTP.

Just let me know if there's a preference because I have never installed IP cams before. Thanks!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Plenum is more expensive, since the plenum environment is tougher. (high flammability rating).
If the cabling is in the cavity created by studs, sheetrock, and exterior sheeting (the "riser"), you can use riser rated.
22 or 23 AWG is better for poe cameras because of the current draw. And better for long runs.
Stay away from CCA, only use solid copper.

Again, welcome!

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be installing 8 IP cameras throughout the exterior of my house in the next few weeks. I am interested in purchasing bulk cable from Monoprice. Should I be purchasing CATE5e Riser or Plenum cable? I'm thinking Plenum because it can be ran between floors (I have a split ranch style home). Also, any specific gauge? They sell 22 or 24AWG available for UTP.

Just let me know if there's a preference because I have never installed IP cams before. Thanks!
"R" (Riser-rated) will suit your application but "P" (Plenum) can be run where R is required but not vice versa. P has a lower smoke/toxic gas jacket.
You said you'd be running the cable "....throughout the exterior of my house". In that case, I'd consider a cable with a UV-resistant, outdoor-rated jacket.
Insure any cable is solid copper, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) and is UL- approved.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Here is a pretty good article describing what @Fastb is describing

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I ordered a 1000' pull-box of the CAT6 cable from CablesAndKits.com.

And just for clarification, I will be running the CAT6 on the INTERIOR of my house to the 8 new IP cameras which will be installed on the EXTERIOR of my house. I was never considering running the CAT6 on the exterior of the home. Sorry for the confusion in my original post!

Pretty sure my future IP Camera setup will be:
  • HIKVision DS-7608-Q2/8P NVR Recorder with 4MP Turret Cameras (DS-2CD2342WD-I)

Last edited: