Cat5e vs Cat6 for camera install

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello all! I hope everyone is having a good day. I have a question with regard to wither $100 difference between cat5e and Cat6 wire is going to get me any extra performance or not? It will be a 350 ft run for an IP camera (DS-2CD2387G2H-LISU/SL). I don't believe it will, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

dudemaar

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all! I hope everyone is having a good day. I have a question with regard to wither $100 difference between cat5e and Cat6 wire is going to get me any extra performance or not? It will be a 350 ft run for an IP camera (DS-2CD2387G2H-LISU/SL). I don't believe it will, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

dudemaar
Check the gauge of the cable .. I have typically seen 23 vs 24 AWG

Some Cat5e have thicker gauge wires ( 23 AWD ) , others thinner ( 24 AWG ).

There's an equation that covers how much power you lose depending on the gauge .. my guess it would be minimal between copper at 23 AWG vs 24 AWG

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've not seen any 5e that's 23 AWG. Maybe it exists. Most cat 6 is 23 AWG, but you have to verify that, and make sure it's solid copper, not CCA. In reality, you'll probably not see any performance difference between 23 and 24 AWG, but for a run that long I wouldn't even consider not using 23 AWG cat6. You can calculate the POE power drop if you want to with each gauge, but with the cameras being pretty tolerant of the POE voltage I'd guess the only difference would be you heat up the wire a wee bit more with 24 AWG. With your run length at the outer limit of the specs, cat6 will give better odds of good data transmission. I'm surprised at the $100 price difference, assuming you're going to use CMR cable. At monoprice today, a 500 foot length of cat6 23 AWG CMR solid copper is $90.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
It will be buried 6 inches in dirt and some goes under laneway through conduit. My options are:

cat5e

or

Or Cat6

or

Prices are in Canadian dollhairs.

Reaction score
  • pure copper
  • 23/24 AWG
  • UV protected / direct burial

are important things for CCTV cams (long distances, POE, sun etc)...

CAT6 is not - You will never do 10 Gbit/s on this.. even not full Gbit/s (cams are using fast ethernet)..
CAT6 cables are thicker & stiffer, use more space in conduits and are harder to push/pull from conduits.. especially when You put many in one conduit...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will be buried 6 inches in dirt and some goes under laneway through conduit. My options are:

cat5e

or

Or Cat6

or

Prices are in Canadian dollhairs.
As you are running it through conduit, watch out on the cat6 options as some have thicker plastic splines that make it hard to run as many cables through the conduit.

Personally I would be ok with running quality cat5e .. installation care is probably more important than cat5e vs cat6 in this case.

I would also run a larger conduit .. example 3/4" instead of 1/2" ..

one bonus for cat6, it is sturdier than cat5e for pulling, so not as easy to damage on pulls

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry I should have realized you need burial cable instead of CMR, a few posts above. My opinion is that the labor of trenching a few hundred feet far outshadows the price difference of the cable. I've got a few thousand feet of cat6 outside, all in conduit 1-1/4 inch or larger, so I didn't have any big difficulties in pulling.