Cat6 cable and RJ45 connector frustration.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After reading some reviews here on Cat6 cable , I went ahead and purchased this one Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 550MHz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 23AWG, 500ft, Blue - Monoprice.com . I am having hard time installing RJ45 connectors, I ordered one from monoprice, I couldn't install quite right because the inside piece of connector comes out. Then I went and bought another set from Lowes and looks like the wire is too thick to pass through.

Has anyone installed a RJ45 connector on to the cable that I purchased? If so please let me know which RJ45 connector should i purchase.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It sounds like you have the two piece type from Monoprice. That inside piece is to help keep the individual wires in the right place and should stay in after you crimp. For the others, the wires will only "pass-through" on special pass-through RJ45 connectors. You will need a special crimp tool for pass-through RJ45's as well.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
After reading some reviews here on Cat6 cable , I went ahead and purchased this one Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 550MHz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 23AWG, 500ft, Blue - Monoprice.com . I am having hard time installing RJ45 connectors, I ordered one from monoprice, I couldn't install quite right because the inside piece of connector comes out. Then I went and bought another set from Lowes and looks like the wire is too thick to pass through.

Has anyone installed a RJ45 connector on to the cable that I purchased? If so please let me know which RJ45 connector should i purchase.
You’ll need to purchase the correct type of RJ45 connectors like this. As they are staggered which allows the thicker 23 AWG wire to pass through.

These are pass through connectors so it makes it easier to confirm the wire pairs.

ITBEBE Gold Plated RJ45 CAT6 Bold... ITBEBE Gold Plated RJ45 CAT6 Bold 100 Pieces End Pass Through Connector for 23 AWG Cables: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok i think after a lot of trial and error, i was able to get my first cable right. I learnt that I need to strip the cable good enough to be able to properly slide the little piece for RJ45.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

A week ago I answered that question with some advice about staggered connectors and that "inside piece" you're referring to. Did you read that post?
It's here but is re-stated below.
___

"I've used those also and are OK if you first do a couple of things to make it easier on yourself ==>> here.

BTW, in your first post you stated CAT-5e cable; those 2-piece connectors you linked are for staggered CAT-6 cable. They'll work but if they are for the larger 23AWG I would not recommend them....match the proper connector to the cable specs."

"