Cat6, Fiber optics, or wireless bridge to shed

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There’s a company here in MO I’m sure will ship you one to Jersey.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don’t even need to dig a trench, can pull it with vibratory plow. Thing is the cost of the pvc conduit will be greater than the cost of fiber - I think. And fiber would probably be better.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess I’ve been looking up the wrong stuff - could have sworn I have seen custom length cables for under $40.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out this fiber -- Certainly doesn't break the bank but is it junk? It is amazon...

There is also this as linked on the page before. Cost a little more, and there is a shipping charge. I'd go this route but they don't seem to have the proper SFP modules for it. If I'm gonna pay shipping I'd like to get everything needed.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I’ve been looking up the wrong stuff - could have sworn I have seen custom length cables for under $40.
I you have a friend you can bribe to terminate the fiber, you can probably do it for less.

Check out this fiber -- Certainly doesn't break the bank but is it junk?
I linked the same thing above. It isn't the best type of fiber for your application, but it is probably the cheapest pre-terminated indoor/outdoor fiber you're going to find.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I you have a friend you can bribe to terminate the fiber, you can probably do it for less.

I linked the same thing above. It isn't the best type of fiber for your application, but it is probably the cheapest pre-terminated indoor/outdoor fiber you're going to find.
I hate buying from amazon anyway -- I'll probably pass on that fiber

Do you see the right transceivers on the Ubiquiti website? I'd buy it all from there if I could find it. Guess I could send an email and see if they reply.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hate buying from amazon anyway -- I'll probably pass on that fiber

Do you see the right transceivers on the Ubiquiti website? I'd buy it all from there if I could find it. Guess I could send an email and see if they reply.
Here are the specs on that cable from the Ubiquit website
Technical Specifications

Single-Mode LC Fiber Cable
Cable length30.5/61/91.5 m (100/200/300 ft)
ConnectorLC-LC
Cable jacketOutdoor-rated
Fiber typeSix-strand single-mode (G.657.A2)
Insertion loss1310 nm: ≤0.5 dB/km
1550 nm: ≤0.5 dB/km
Jacket OD6.0 mm
Jacket colorBlack
It doesn't have a pulling eye and isn't as robust an assembly as some of the other options. It's single mode fiber which is used for long distances. Multi mode is typically used for shorter distances, but single mode will work.

Ubiquiti does sell SFP adapters that should work with this cable, but they're simplex meaning you need 2 SFP ports on each end unlike the duplex multimode ones.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok thanks for that -- I'm learning

I don't have enough SFP ports so that option is out.

What does 2 strand, 4 strand 6 strand mean for the multimode stuff? How many strands are needed for multimode?

And is a pulling eye necessary for a 4" conduit pull?

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BiDi modules means they are bi-directional and only ONE strand of fiber is needed for rx/tx because they use different wavelengths for Rx/tx and as stated on the website you have to use "matching pairs" because one SFP will transmit on 1310nm while receiving on 1550nm.The other SFP has to be opposite,

The ubiquiti SFP you linked to will work great utilizing only ONE SFP port on each switch. Duplex modules however needs 2 fiber strands with for example a duplex LC connector (That is in reality only 2 LC connectors held together by a plastic clip)
I consequently use singlemode fiber on all my runs for simplicity, even on the short runs. I even have some 1meter patch cables interconnecting switches using single mode fiber.

FS.com is a great place to buy SFP modules and pre-terminated fibers. If you look under the custom fibers, there is even "industrial/military spec" fibers with TPU jacket that can be direct buried.

Reaction score
So I’ve read myself into another decision that I didn’t know I had to make. Shed mounted cameras.

I’m thinking at least 3 cameras, one is definitely a PTZ5A4M 25x. Maybe a pair of t54ir ze s3 also. Three 4mp cams.

I figure a POE+ switch in the shed so only 1 wire going from house to shed. Currently I have a 4” conduit, buried 4 feet down, running from my basement the inside the shed. In that conduit is a 100 amp power cable. I have a 100 amp breaker box in the shed. I weld in there at times.

I had planned on just running a direct burial, gel filled, cat 6 cable in the 4 inch conduit. Yes the power cable is in there. Then I started reading on here.

Distance through the conduit is right around 150 feet. Total wire run from switch to switch would be under 200 feet.

So what should I do? I can do anything. Gel filled cat 6 which I have, I can get fiber optics. I’d prefer to run through the existing conduit but I can put in another conduit with ease too. Won’t be 4 feet deep. Maybe just 12 inches.

I can use a wireless bridge. I do have clear line of sight. Straight line distance between antennas would be around the 150 foot mark.

What would give me the best results? What would you do?
I have been using TP-Link Pharos system for the last 3 years linking house to a shed 300 feet away and also installed the same between commercial offices and a Pavilion 500 feet away. - CPE510 system is ultra reliable and very reasonably priced. Stated range up to 13KM away so a few hundred feet is simple.. lol
CPE510

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been using TP-Link Pharos system for the last 3 years linking house to a shed 300 feet away and also installed the same between commercial offices and a Pavilion 500 feet away. - CPE510 system is ultra reliable and very reasonably priced. Stated range up to 13KM away so a few hundred feet is simple.. lol
CPE510
I installed a pair of the same CPE510's in June of '23 to link my stepmom's house to barn about 150 ft., not a hiccup since, getting 80Mbps up/down from a Netgear wireless AP in the guest house section there in the barn.

I installed a pair of the 2.4GHz version, the CPE210, at a client's place in Jan. of '23 to go only 60 ft. but some vegetation and mis-alignment of the main house and the shop but it still works great and he can stream TV with no issues.

I'm a big Ubiquiti fan but when the availability was so bad in '22 and '23 I tried the TP-LINK's and they have worked great. I had been using their PCIe and USB wireless adapters, switches and PLA's for 10 or more years with great results.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don’t even need to dig a trench, can pull it with vibratory plow. Thing is the cost of the pvc conduit will be greater than the cost of fiber - I think. And fiber would probably be better.
Can you say more about this vibratory plow and the conduit you pull with it? I think I understand what you're talking about, but I have never seen one in action.

I have an application where I may want to run some conduit about 100' under an established lawn, and it would be nice not to tear up the lawn too badly.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently bought some of those elbows. My guess is that they're a low volume part, with more per-piece overhead and less competition. A few years ago my Home Depot had them in stock. Now, they don't.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you say more about this vibratory plow and the conduit you pull with it? I think I understand what you're talking about, but I have never seen one in action.

I have an application where I may want to run some conduit about 100' under an established lawn, and it would be nice not to tear up the lawn too badly.
The vibratory plow "puller" is basically a knife blade with a sling attached for holding pipe or wire. Lower blade into ground, vibrate the blade, and drive slow. Pipe gets dragged underground behind the blade.
Damage to ground is really dependent on soil conditions and pulling depth. Roots are worse than rocks. Ideal conditions and you barely can see the line.

I have been using a puller with PVC pipe for over 35 years. My machine is a ditch witch 350SX. 1980's vintage. In ideal soil conditions I can pull 2" pvc pipe, 2 feet down. 100 feet of distance is nothing.

I generally run a thinner wall PVC pipe than sch 40 for irrigation lines but the puller doesn't care what pipe I pull. You glue whatever length you need together above ground be it 40 feet or 900 feet.
Give the glue a few minutes to set up, then start pulling. MUST use pipe with built in couplings. The sockets are much longer vs stand alone couplings, plus there is only 1 glue joint per connection.

I've been busy lately so I still haven't pulled the line to my shed, I'll get a video when I do. Maybe this weekend.

As for that funky PVC tri elbow fitting. It's definitely a low demand, "specialty" fitting. In over 35 years installing PVC pipe and fittings I've never used one.