Cat6 Keystone or crimp (Camera End)

Bazcb

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am having a bit of a dilema. I have been using keystones in a junction box and a pre made cat6 patch cable for CCTV installs for the last year or so. Basically down to the fact crimping a cat6 is a pain. So i wanted to know your thought on this method and what would you sugest. Also seen these aswell. I thought would be a suitable replacement for keystones. Search results

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am having a bit of a dilema. I have been using keystones in a junction box and a pre made cat6 patch cable for CCTV installs for the last year or so. Basically down to the fact crimping a cat6 is a pain. So i wanted to know your thought on this method and what would you sugest. Also seen these aswell. I thought would be a suitable replacement for keystones. Search results
I'm sorry - but you are doing yourself and if you service customers a disservice. Crimping connectors is NOT hard if you have the proper tools and supplies. Watch a few youtube videos and order the correct tools and supplies and you'll be crimping connectors in no time, and most likely damn near perfectly after a dozen practice ends or so. The only time crimping connectors is difficult is if you are using the incorrect tools or supplies.

Here I'll even use the Amazon UK site

Connectors: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Network-Cat6e-Cable-Connector/dp/B00Y4NHQX8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1479862164&sr=8-6&keywords=cat6+connectors

Tool Kit Everything you need!: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Network-Computer-Maintenance-Storage/dp/B013QT1SDE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479862255&sr=8-2&keywords=RJ45+crimp+tool

Video 1:
Not trying to come across as an ass but if you are going to work with IP hardware you need to learn to terminate your own cables. Using contraptions like the ones you linked to is not good for any setup/system and bring no value to anyone as well as only cost you a lot more money.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Learn to crimp. Use keystones, junction boxes, and premade patch cables for things like smart TVs in entertainment centers or commercial installs where customers will be plugging and unplugging stuff repeatedly. Solid core won't stand up to that as a patch cable and they'll turn flakey or just plain bad after a while so disposable stranded patch cables to a junction box are best used there.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree that the crimping is a pain! I'm doing it anyway. Takes me at least 10 minutes per end, more if I'm up on a ladder or the lighting is less than ideal. I was able to do it faster 20 years ago when those little holes were a lot easier to see, and my memory held the color sequence without having to refer to the cheat-sheet.