Cat6 & rj-45

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just came across this thread.

If I've understood correctly should the cable from the camera be terminated in a keystone jack and then a patch cable from keystone jack to the nvr? Or have I completely misunderstood?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Just came across this thread.

If I've understood correctly should the cable from the camera be terminated in a keystone jack and then a patch cable from keystone jack to the nvr? Or have I completely misunderstood?
There is no reason to do it this way unless you simply want to.

You can run a your cat 5/6 cable directly from the nvr to the camera simply terminating it on both ends and connecting it directly to the female adapter on the camera and directly into the female POE port on the back of the NVR.

Adding punchdown blocks, keystone jacks, etc only introduces additional points of failure.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is no reason to do it this way unless you simply want to.

You can run a your cat 5/6 cable directly from the nvr to the camera simply terminating it on both ends and connecting it directly to the female adapter on the camera and directly into the female POE port on the back of the NVR.

Adding punchdown blocks, keystone jacks, etc only introduces additional points of failure.
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying it.
So what exactly is the best practice the other posters are referring (apologies for lack of understanding, I'm kinda new to this)

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
In corp. environments - professional buildings - the typical standard is solid core cable from a network rack/punchdown to a keystone jack in the wall/office. Then 6', 12', 18' stranded cable jumpers are typically used from that punchdown/keystone jack to the final termination point.

This is typically done because those cables are traditionally moved a lot - phones moved, offices moved, PC's connected/disconnected, etc. This keeps your main line undisturbed. While allowing the more flexable patch panel cables to be the ones that are always screwed with.

Typically in a home environment you will connect your camera and connect said camera to the NVR then never screw with it again. Its not like you are always connecting, disconnecting your cameras at the NVR to reroute cables, reroute single, shut down specific ports, like you would in a professional office environment where IT is always adjusting/changing something.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tgabk
In corp. environments - professional buildings - the typical standard is solid core cable from a network rack/punchdown to a keystone jack in the wall/office. Then 6', 12', 18' stranded cable jumpers are typically used from that punchdown/keystone jack to the final termination point.

This is typically done because those cables are traditionally moved a lot - phones moved, offices moved, PC's connected/disconnected, etc. This keeps your main line undisturbed. While allowing the more flexable patch panel cables to be the ones that are always screwed with.

Typically in a home environment you will connect your camera and connect said camera to the NVR then never screw with it again. Its not like you are always connecting, disconnecting your cameras at the NVR to reroute cables, reroute single, shut down specific ports, like you would in a professional office environment where IT is always adjusting/changing something.
Thanks for that, makes a lot more sense now :)

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Consider the gauge of the wires within your CAT6 cables. You may not be able to attach an RJ-45 directly as the wires could be too thick. Often times cables sold in large spools are meant to be terminated in either a patch panel or keystone which are made to accommodate the thicker individual wires. This is what the 23AWG & 24AWG are denoting in the cable specification.

Take a piece of spare cable and try to crimp an RJ-45 on to it, if you can and it fits you can terminate the cable runs with RJ-45, if not you may be forced to use a keystone. While it is considered a best practice to terminate cable runs with keystones or face plates ultimately it is up to the "customer". If you are installing this in your home then you are both the installer and the customer and whatever works for you is fine. If you are installing this for another person/party then whatever they consider "correct" is what you will want to aim for, if they have no opinion or knowledge then go with industry standard practices.

I would say consider the aesthetic of the final install, match the use of keystones and face plates or raw cable run to RJ-45 connectors to that end. If crimping to RJ-45 or keystones and patch panels is done correctly the performance/functional impact is virtually zero in all but the most extreme installs.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW, I bought this 23 gauge, solid, in wall rated ethernet wire
250FT Cat 6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable STP, Solid, In-Wall Rated (CM), 550MHz, 23AWG - Gray - GENERIC - Monoprice.com
plugs
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051305&p_id=7266&seq=1&format=2
tool
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10509&cs_id=1050901&p_id=3350&seq=1&format=2

And followed their instructions
http://www.monoprice.com/manual/how to - crimp rj45 w inserts.pdf

Made a couple cables so far, work fine.
First cable didn't work because I didn't read the instructions lol
Just cut off the ends, remade and it worked fine.
Second cable went a lot faster than first. Still takes a little while to do, but not bad.

The wire is kind of thick and stiff, but that's what I wanted for long runs of POE wire.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Often times cables sold in large spools are meant to be terminated in either a patch panel or keystone
This is not factual information... Bulk spools of cable are perfectly fine for making jumpers and terminating into any demarcation point (connector, patch panel, keystone jack, etc). No where have I ever seen that bulk cable is intended to be used at patch panels and keystone jacks. Any individual that finds himself with a half a brain and using a descent amount of cable has a bulk 1000' spool so anytime they need a cable they can cut to length and go!

The only time an individual may have trouble terminating a cable is if he/she is trying to use stranded connectors on solid core cable, you should never have problems terminating 23/24 gauge wire with j45 connectors. Or you are trying to jam shielded cat 6e 24 gauge cable into an older cat 5 connector. If you have the proper tools and items you can terminate any Cat 5/6/7 cable with traditional RJ45 connectors.

Take a piece of spare cable and try to crimp an RJ-45 on to it, if you can and it fits you can terminate the cable runs with RJ-45, if not you may be forced to use a keystone. While it is considered a best practice to terminate cable runs with keystones or face plates ultimately
Again, NO. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass but you are misleading the community with inaccurate information.

I would say consider the aesthetic of the final install, match the use of keystones and face plates or raw cable run to RJ-45 connectors to that end.
This is about the only factual piece of information in your post.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the purposes of IP cams, crimping an RJ-45 on the camera end is the right way to do it. On the NVR end you can crimp with RJ-45 as well, but I prefer to use a patch panel (not keystones). Even in a home setting the cables on the nvr end can be moved around more than you think leading to crimp failures. A patch panel also makes it easier to label the cables and makes it easier if your setup changes eg. nvr w/o built in switch, a midspan poe injector rather than a poe switch, etc.

Now for other home networking to computers, TVs, etc. that's properly installed in the wall keystone jacks and patch panels are the ONLY way to do it right. Don't go crimping rj-45 modular plugs on cables for devices like that.

You certainly can make patch cables yourself (and I do occasionally), but I don't recommend it. The solid cable you should be using in wall is less ideal for patch cables it's heavier and more rigid and as a result much more failure prone over time.

Whatever you do, route the cable so you've got some extra at each end should the need to re-terminate the cable arise.

Compared to something like coax, the losses for adding jacks or patch panels in Ethernet systems are pretty minimal.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is not factual information... Bulk spools of cable are perfectly fine for making jumpers and terminating into any demarcation point (connector, patch panel, keystone jack, etc). No where have I ever seen that bulk cable is intended to be used at patch panels and keystone jacks. Any individual that finds himself with a half a brain and using a descent amount of cable has a bulk 1000' spool so anytime they need a cable they can cut to length and go!
Ouch, I am sorry I seem to upset you deeply to warrant such an aggressive response. I was simply referring to 23awg vs 24awg cable and that there are RJ-45 connectors meant for 24awg cable and that spooled cable can be 23awg. Yes if you have the correct connectors for the cables you have then you should be fine. I was just trying to point out a possible trouble OP might run into and might want to avoid.