Cat6 RJ45 Connector

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for Cat6 cable ends. I've gotten some from Monoprice but they were missing the inserts. They sent me inserts but didn't fit. Just looking to see what others might be using.

Thanks!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Promod117

I've had solid luck with these
http://www.frys.com/product/8045464?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

However I use more of there Cat5e connectors then anything and love them.
http://www.frys.com/product/8045584?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Lot of people here seem to like these, but I only see this as a benefit to novices, if you terminate enough cable you are comfortable with cable lengths and placement - not to mention you need a special tool with these.
http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-100010C-Connectors-Clamshell/dp/B000FI9VU2
http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-100054C-Clamshell-EZ-RJPRO/dp/B00939KFOU/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AEQ2V2H0NXB9C4X76PN

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I sort of like the idea of the Ideal connectors with the separation sled. Not sure why they are listed as Cat6 but only certified to 350MHz.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why they are listed as Cat6 but only certified to 350MHz
Because the signals are transmitted over multiple pairs of wires to get the full aggregate bit rate.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought I read that Cat6 was supposed to be 500 or 550 MHz. Maybe I mis-read something.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought I read that Cat6 was supposed to be 500 or 550 MHz. Maybe I mis-read something.
Below is a post I made the other day clarifying someones incorrect information, this will break down the cable differences and provide a reference as well as additional info.

Cat5e (SOLID core) is fully capable of 1000Mbsp (sure 1Gbps is 1024Mbps but seriously are we going to discuss 24Mbps as a breaking point?) and utilizes frequencies upto 100MHz, standards are POE upto 100M (328 feet total) the extra 10M is normally considered from patch panel jumpers, outlet jumpers, etc. So Cat5e is capable of being used for an uplink port in a residential environment and even many business environments. - Yes there are MANY examples of IP POE cameras being used upto 500' with quality cable and no issues reported, but I am citing Industry Standards.

Cat6 is capable of 10Gbps but only if less that 50M (150') but has a freq range of up to 250MHz, at 100M though you are back to 1000Mpbs capability and in the same place as you were with Cat 5e... One of the biggest misconceptions is that Cat6 provides all this better throughput ability and future proofing - but that's not the case unless under specific conditions.

Thus based on the reasoning above to future proof everything for the next 10 years, you would want to install Cat6a - which supports frequencies up 500MHz and speeds to 10Gbps the full standards distance of 100M.

As it relates to the need for Plenum Cable - Plenum is an area typically above a drop ceiling or under a false floor or an elevator shaft or duct work. This is area that is heated or cooled and provides that air to occupied space by individuals - this cable is normally more expensive as it meets different fire standards. As a general rule of thumb as it relates to professional environments. General use cable is used in offices or common space, Plenum cable is used in drop ceilings, false floors, or shared air spaces, and Riser Rated cable is used when going from one floor to the other and similar to plenum is coated differently so if burning the fire does not move up the cable and transfer from one floor to another, this cable also has a tougher jacket or reinforced string inside to help support the vertical weight of the hanging cable to assure the twisted pairs are not what are supporting the weight.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the simple explanation! Dare I ask what the basic difference between Cat6 & Cat6a? :cool:

And I guess that is what inspired my original question. I see Cat6a cable, but I do not see connectors that are rated for 500MHz.....

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the simple explanation! Dare I ask what the basic difference between Cat6 & Cat6a? :cool:
Cat 6a is a little thicker than Cat 6 (typically 23 gauge vs 24 gauge). There typically in most quality cable is also a plastic sleeve around the individual copper pairs, as well as Cat 6a is tighter wound thus creating more twists resulting in more copper per foot. You also have a reduction in crosstalk among pairs in Cat6a. These are some of the differences that allow you to achieve full 10 Gigabit throughput at full standards distance (328ft).

Below is a chart i also referenced awhile back in another thread that may be useful to some.

Cat5 - Cat5 cable is out dated. Do not install this.

Cat5e - Cat5e cable is suitable for Gigabit speeds and networks that change frequently. If the network changes frequently or is temporary in nature, Cat5e may be the optimal selection.

Cat6 - Cat6 cable is optimal for extra margin and higher performance. Cat6 cable will support gigabit ethernet, but will only support 10 Gigabit Ethernet if the total length and loss is low enough. If a project requires a 10 Gigabit Ethernet connection, Cat6A or higher is recommended.

Cat6A - Cat6A cable will support speeds up to 10 Gigabit. If a project requires a single installation solution to support the facility and is inteded to stand the test of time, Cat6A will protect the investment and serve as a reliable backbone for the company going into the future.

Cat7 & Cat7A - Cat7 cable will support 10 Gigabit Ethernet with plenty of margin to spare. Cat7 has pair-sharing capability, making it possible to use one cable to power several different devices at the same time utilizing each pair as needed. For the best and most versatile infrastructure Cat7 provides the solution

Also I appreciate the extra questions. Some on the forum just throw around "Use this cable because its newer" or "Use this cable because its so much better and only $20 more per box". While cable is VERY important in any application understanding the different classes of cable will help a lot of users. Even if you are trying to "future proof" something, most are doing it incorrectly even though they believe they are putting in the best of best. This is mainly caused by people "thinking" they know what they are talking about because they simply read what someone else said on a forum post or read something on an internet site.

The one important thing that is NOT noted above is to try and work with SOLID core cable regardless of the application. Stay away from stranded and NEVER use CCA. Stranded does have its place in the market - typically short runs and used as patch panel cables/jumpers. However it should never be used in long run applications, and in my opinion if you are cutting and making your own cables there is no reason not to just always have solid core.

Last edited by a moderator: